Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|The Shadows of Avalon|
|Companion(s):||Fitz Kreiner, Compassion|
|Main enemy:||Romana III, Gandar, Cavis|
|Main setting:||Wiltshire, July 2012; England, October 1967; Gallifrey|
|Release date:||7 February 2000|
|Format:||Paperback Book; 23 Chapters, 288 Pages|
|BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures|
|Parallel 59||The Fall of Yquatine|
The Shadows of Avalon was the thirty-first novel in the BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures series. It was written by Paul Cornell. It featured the Eighth Doctor, Fitz Kreiner, Compassion, the Brigadier, and introduced Romana III, a regeneration following her previous incarnation depicted by Lalla Ward.
Publisher's summary Edit
Now it seems they'll have to make a new life for themselves with the Celts who live in the Dreamlands. Perhaps even help in the Celts' negotiations with the Unseelie, the sinister original inhabitants of Avalon, who live far to the North.
But then a gateway opens between Earth and Avalon. The British Army arrives in force. And the Brigadier negotiates a treaty that will lead to war in the Land of Dreams.
Chapter titles Edit
- Prologue One
- Prologue Two
Part One: The Road to Avalon
- 1: Compassion Fatigue
- 2: Get Through It
- 3: Into the Fire
- 4: Woad Rage
Part Two: War in Avalon
- 5: And You May Find Yourself
- 6: Potence Postponed
- 7: Nothing Can Stop Us Now
Part Three: The Taking of Avalon
- 8: Call it an Exorcism if you Want
- 9: If you Live a Lie, You Die a Liar
- 10: War Fever
- 11: The Return of the Hero
- 12: And This Gives Life to Thee
- 13: Reason
- 14: The Proper Use for Chandeliers
- 15: Victory is Empty
- 16: What Matters is Who You Are
- 17: The Return of the Villain
- 18: Interference Denied
- 19: Dust to Dust
- Epilogue One
- Epilogue Two
- Eighth Doctor
- Fitz Kreiner
- Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
- Doris Lethbridge-Stewart
- Queen Regent Ma bab Mab Pendragon
- King Constantine
- Fair Folk (aka Faerie Folk)
- Romana III
- Cavis (Cavisadoratrelundar)
- Gandar (Gandarotethetledrax)
- Joe Bryce
- Matthew Bedser
- Romana uses a Space-Time Visualiser to look into near future events.
- Sentient TARDISs are integral to the Future War with the Enemy.
- Krakens, Chronovores and Swimmers are all predators that you are vulnerable to in the time vortex.
- The People are mentioned in relation to Gallifrey and its narrowly averted war.
- Fitz and Compassion take a brief "swim" through the Time Vortex.
- England has a king by 2012.
- The Doctor can remember his father and the Looms, but he is unsure which of them is real.
to be added
- The Brigadier gained a younger body in PROSE: Happy Endings.
- There is a mention of the People. (PROSE: The Also People)
- The Doctor mentions he is known as Merlin. (TV: Battlefield, PROSE: One Fateful Knight)
- Here Compassion evolves into a fully fledged sentient TARDIS (first seen in Alien Bodies, a process which began in The Blue Angel, and for which they (the Doctor, Fitz and Compassion) are pursued by the Time Lords through The Fall of Yquatine, Coldheart, The Space Age and The Banquo Legacy.
- The Ancestor Cell reveals just what happened to the TARDIS after its collision between the dimensional barriers.
- The Doctor contemplates growing a TARDIS with magic. In TV: The Impossible Planet, he affirms that TARDISes are grown.
- The statement that a Time Lord can be killed (without regeneration taking place, regardless of how many they have left) if both hearts are seriously damaged simultaneously is later confirmed by River Song in TV: Forest of the Dead, when concerned that the Tenth Doctor will inflict a lethal electric shock on himself. It is also demonstrated in PROSE: World Game, when the Second Doctor's companion Serena is shot in the side with a musket-ball, the blast destroying both her hearts at once.
- The Eighth Doctor also encounters the Brigadier in AUDIO: Minuet in Hell
- The Discontinuity Guide to: The Shadows of Avalon at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: The Shadows of Avalon