Publisher's summary Edit
The Shining Men are everywhere. You spot them out of the corner of your eye. Abnormally tall, with long lank hair, blank faces and blazing eyes. If they catch you, they'll drag you away to who knows where. No one is safe. They're on every street corner. Waiting. Watching. Shining bright.
Of course it's a hoax. It has to be, right? It started as a joke, a prank for Halloween. Then it went viral. Idiots dressing up as monsters. Giving folk a scare. Silly masks and fright wigs. No one gets hurt. Because bogeymen aren't real.
Until people start going missing and lights burn in the darkness. Burning like eyes.
But help is on its way, in the form of a strange man called the Doctor and his friend, Bill. The Doctor will keep us safe. The Doctor will stop the monsters. Unless the monsters stop the Doctor first...
to be added
- Twelfth Doctor
- Bill Potts
- Sammy Holland
- Noah Holland
- Masie Holland
- Hilary Walsh
- Charlotte Sadler
- Jane Schofield
- Rob Hawker
- Harold Marter
- Female paramedic
- Male paramedic
- The Lost
- The Devil's Whisper, The Walls Have Teeth and Children of the Cull are monster movies watched by Sammy.
- Noah and his friend Dylan Edwards skipped a class to look for the Shining Men.
- Noah has a duvet of the Ghost flying over Manhattan.
- Sammy calls the Shining Men an urban legend, a term Noah is unfamiliar with.
- Little Miss Sunshine versus the Sulky Skarasen is one of the books on the TARDIS.
- Bill mentions that the MeadowPhone 3 came out in August 2017.
- Charlotte is a vlogger. Her account name is Cryptogal-UK.
- Charlotte has copies of Fortean Times and Preternatural Monthly all over her van.
- The hashtag #fearthelight is used to talk about the Shining Men.
- Charlotte briefly wonders if the Doctor and Bill are with UNIT or Torchwood, expressing hope that they are not with the Forge. Later, the Doctor uses his psychic paper as credentials to confirm his affiliation with UNIT.
- The last time the Doctor tried to go in the TARDIS library, Hattie got attacked by the 1986 Bash Street Kids annual.
- Copies of A Bear Called Paddington, Lore of the Land and The Encyclopaedia of British Myth and Legend are present on the library the Doctor and Bill break into.
- YetiHunter1997 leaves a comment on one of Charlotte's vlogs about the Shining Men, using both hashtags and emoticons.
- Bill's phone's PIN is her mum's birth date.
- The Doctor explains Bill the concept of an elf ring.
- After using the term "astral projection", Bill mentions Doctor Strange, and says that the Doctor should watch it.
- When the Doctor asks Noah if he has read Sherlock Holmes, Noah asks "The guy on the telly?"
- When the Doctor refers to Sherlock Holmes as the world's greatest detective, Noah answers back that he thought it was Batman.
- The Doctor tells Schofield he had been in the Invisible before, albeit in a different body, and that he managed to go home with a little help.
- The Doctor believed humans to be a myth as a Time Tot.
- Bill mixes up boggarts and Bogart.
to be added
- The Doctor tells Noah that he is the President of the World. (TV: Death in Heaven, The Zygon Invasion, The Pyramid at the End of the World)
- The Doctor claims responsibility for the presence of the different Loch Ness Monsters. (TV: Terror of the Zygons, Timelash)
- When Charlotte introduces her van Velma, the Doctor mentions his old car Bessie. (TV: Doctor Who and the Silurians, et al.)
- The Doctor recalls having a friend who lives on a double-decker bus. (PROSE: Old Flames, et al.)
- Bill says the Doctor calls the TARDIS "Sexy". (TV: The Doctor's Wife)
- Bill mentions the Doctor stealing a diamond from Saturn. (PROSE: Diamond Dogs)
- The Doctor tells Jane that he once had a sonic lipstick, but later gave it to a friend of his. (TV: Invasion of the Bane, et al.)
- Bill recalls that her mother died when she was a baby, and that the only memories she had of her were the one she made up for herself. Also, she recalls that the only photos of her mum that she owns were taken by the Doctor, when he went back in time to take them. (TV: The Pilot)
- The Doctor refers to fairies with green skin, sharp teeth, who have a habit of shoving red petals down people's throats. (TV: Small Worlds)
- The Doctor once again observes that humans are his favourite species. (TV: The Ark in Space)
- The Doctor says that librarians love him (COMIC: After Life, et al.), except for those from Alexandria, even though he was not exactly responsible for the fire. (AUDIO: The Library of Alexandria)
- The Doctor has visited the Invisible before. (PROSE: Autumn Mist)
Audio release Edit
to be added