The Simpsons was a television programme.
Behind the scenes
Over the show's long run, The Simpsons has made several references to Doctor Who and its related universe, and as such is one of the few American-produced series to include such references. Doctor Who has often been mentioned by the Comic Book Guy.
There have been several explicit references to Doctor Who within episodes of The Simpsons in the episodes;
- In 1995's Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming, a caricature of the Fourth Doctor appears as a representative of television.
- In 1998's Mayored to the Mob, Tom Baker, who is in costume as the Fourth Doctor, gives his autograph to the children in Bi-Mon-Sci-Fi-Con science-fiction convention.
- Bart the Fink, where Comic Book Guy unambiguously refers to a "Doctor Who (episode watching) marathon".
- In Springfield Up, Homer refers to a character voiced by Eric Idle as "Doctor Who".
- In Treehouse of Horror X, Comic Book Guy has the Fourth Doctor concealed in a plastic bag, along with many other characters. He introduces the Doctor as "Doctor Who".
- In Holidays of Future Passed, London is patrolled by bobby-wearing Daleks.
- In the season 24 episode Love is a Many Splintered Thing, Alfred Hitchcock pilots the TARDIS in a British movie the kicked out men were watching.
- In The Day the Earth Stood Cool, an outline of a Dalek can be seen in the bottom of T-Rex's drawer.
The show's creator, Matt Groening, is reportedly a huge fan of Doctor Who, with the Fourth Doctor being his favourite incarnation.[source needed] Consulting producer Don Payne is also apparently a fan – in the 2009 "Treehouse of Horror" episode, he was credited as Don "he will knock 4 times" Payne, a reference to the prophecy begun in TV: Planet of the Dead.
The Simpsons along with Doctor Who and various other franchises appear together in the 2015 video game LEGO Dimensions.