|The Slitheen Excursion|
|Main setting:||Athens, Greece, 1500 BC|
|Release date:||16 April 2009|
|Format:||Hardcover, 237 pages|
|BBC New Series Adventures|
|Judgement of the Judoon||Prisoner of the Daleks|
Publisher's summary Edit
1500BC - King Actaeus and his subjects live in mortal fear of the awesome gods who have come to visit their kingdom in ancient Greece. Except the Doctor, visiting with university student June, knows they're not gods at all. They're aliens. For the aliens, it's the perfect holiday - they get to tour the sights of a primitive planet and even take part in local customs. Like gladiatorial games, or hunting down and killing humans who won't be missed. With June's enthusiastic help, the Doctor soon meets the travel agents behind this deadly package holiday company - his old enemies the Slitheen. But can he bring the Slitheen excursion to an end without endangering more lives? And how are events in ancient Greece linked to a modern-day alien plot to destroy what's left of the Parthenon?
to be added
- The Aru are mentioned. This species is said to have several chins and mandibles.
- The Doctor is captured by unknown "blobby grey aliens", one of whom he calls Bartholomew, and manages to stop them from destroying Athens with explosives.
- The Doctor is able to speak Bartholomew's language. As June did not travel in the TARDIS, it was not translated. To her is sounded like "clicks and whistles". The Doctor soon switched to English in attempt to get help from her.
Newspapers and Media Edit
- The Doctor claims to be working for the Mutter's Spiral Herald.
Time Travel Edit
- Mamps Slitheen identifies the Doctor as a time traveller when she smells the nymph glands from Gris on his suit.
- The Kodicek scale measures temporal disturbances.
- The Slitheen here are said to be silicon-based whereas in TV: Aliens of London/World War Three they were calcium-based.
- This novel continues the series of New Series Adventure novels, set after TV: Journey's End, in which an alien from the TV series returns in print (the others include the Judoon, Daleks, Sontarans, Krillitanes and Autons). Unlike these aliens, however, the Slitheen have previously appeared in another standard PROSE novel in PROSE: The Monsters Inside, although some other aliens listed above do appear in Quick Reads.
- This story was also released as an ebook available from the Amazon Kindle store.
- The Slitheen family debuted in TV: Aliens of London.
- The events of both TV: Aliens of London and TV: Boom Town are mentioned.
- The Navarinos are mentioned. They debuted in TV: Delta and the Bannermen.
- The Osirans are mentioned. They debuted in TV: Pyramids of Mars.
- Because June was not yet a traveller in the TARDIS, the language used by Bartholomew and the Doctor during their conversation was not translated for her. Travellers of the TARDIS were able to understand the majority of languages in the universe. (TV: The End of the World, The Fires of Pompeii et al)
Audio release Edit
- The story was released as an audiobook download read by Debbie Chazen available from the AudioGo website.
- The Slitheen Excursion at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Cloister Library: The Slitheen Excursion