The Smugglers was a novelisation based on the 1966 television serial The Smugglers. This was the final Target Books novelisation published in a hardcover edition and thus the last Doctor Who fiction to be published in the hardcover format until the launch of the Big Finish Productions Short Trips range in 2002.
A 17th century Cornish town - villainous pirates roam the seas searching for treasure while the townspeople have turned to smuggling, wheeling and dealing in contraband.
When the Doctor is unwittingly given a clue to the whereabouts of the treasure the pirates are determined to extract the information - whatever the cost.
- A Shock for Polly and Ben
- The Frightened Man
- Longfoot's Friends
- Pirate Treasure
- Kewper's Trade
- The Squire's Plan
- Pike's Revenge
- Treasure Hunt
- Cherub's Move
- The Treasure
Deviations from televised story
- It is explained that Kewper contacted Pike because the smugglers' normal boat had been seized by the Revenue men and they were searching for a replacement.
- Pike learns of Cherub's absence from a pirate named Crow immediately after killing Jamaica and notes they returned to the boat together.
- Gaptooth's death during the battle is omitted: He is last mentioned when he sends Spaniard and Daniel to guard the boat, making his fate unclear.
Writing and publishing notes
- This was the last title to be released in both hardback and paperback due to declining sales.
- The cover for the original Target Books edition featured the artwork of Alister Pearson.
Additional cover images
British publication history
- Hardback (June 1998)
- W.H.Allen & Co. Ltd. UK ISBN:0491031483, estimated print run of only 1000 copies priced £7.95.
- Paperback (January 1989)
- Target / W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. One single paperback edition, estimated print run: 23,000, priced £1.99 (UK).
- Re-issues (February 1993)
- Target / Virgin Publishing, priced £3.50 (UK).
to be added