Publisher's summary Edit
Ellie Higson believes that spiritualist Mrs Vanguard can hear the voices of the dead, but Henry Gordon Jago thinks it's all superstition and theatrical trickery. But if Vanguard is a harmless fake, then why have some of those who have attended her seances disappeared so mysteriously? Jago and Litefoot investigate... And find themselves facing a deadly foe from the afterlife.
to be added
- Henry Gordon Jago - Christopher Benjamin
- George Litefoot - Trevor Baxter
- Ellie Higson - Lisa Bowerman
- Mrs Vanguard - Janet Henfrey
- Toby Barker - Lex Shrapnel
- The Landlord - John Ainsworth
- Mrs Vanguard lives at No. 13 Ignatius Road in Camden Town.
- Jago has an elderly aunt named Maude who lives in Margate. She recently became engaged to a fishmonger named Robert Botcherby.
- Jago considers Ellie to be one of the most capable waitresses in London.
- Jago sings "Let's All Go Down the Strand" to calm his nerves.
- Jago compares the possessed bodies to doppelgängers.
- The 49th century refugee in possession of Jago's body mentions that, in decades to come, there will be "brutal, terrible wars that will decide the fate of this world".
Story notes Edit
- Sergeant Quick and Doctor Tulp do not appear in this story, as producer David Richardson wanted to focus more on the character of Ellie. As a result, this story is directed by John Ainsworth rather than Lisa Bowerman.
- Ellie is still mourning the death of her brother Jim Higson. Jago and Litefoot express the hope that she does not discover the true circumstances of his death and their involvement therein. (AUDIO: The Bloodless Soldier)
- Jago refers to Li H'sen Chang's act at the Palace Theatre. (TV: The Talons of Weng-Chiang)
- Toby detects the presence of another medium who could see the future. Jago and Litefoot would later discover that he was referring to Dr. Heinrich Tulp. (AUDIO: The Similarity Engine)
- An attempt by time travelling humans from the far future to take over the bodies of their ancestors with the intention of altering their own history also occurred in Russia in the late 21st century. Their plan was defeated by the Fifth Doctor and his companion Turlough. (AUDIO: Singularity)