a real world point of view
|The Stone Rose|
|Release date:||13 April 2006|
|Format:||Hardcover, 251 pages|
|BBC New Series Adventures|
|The Stealers of Dreams||The Feast of the Drowned|
The Stone Rose was the seventh book of the BBC New Series Adventures range.
The book was written by Jacqueline Rayner and was the first book of the series to feature the Tenth Doctor. Rose Tyler continued to be featured as the companion in the series, as she had in the previous six books.
Publisher's summary Edit
Mickey is startled to find a statue of Rose in a museum - a statue that is 2,000 years old. The Doctor realises that this means the TARDIS will shortly take them to ancient Rome, but when it does, he and Rose soon have more on their minds than a sculpture.
While the Doctor searches for a missing boy, Rose befriends a girl who claims to know the future - a girl whose predictions are surprisingly accurate. But then the Doctor stumbles on the hideous truth behind the statue of Rose - and Rose herself learns that you have to be very careful what you wish for...
- The Doctor
- Rose Tyler
- Mickey Smith
- Jackie Tyler
- Gnaeus Fabius Gracilis
- Vanessa Moretti
- The Ogre of Hyfor Three
- Salvatorio Moretti (mentioned)
- The Doctor keeps a set of Winnie the Pooh bed linens in the TARDIS.
- The TARDIS wardrobe is alphabetised. (R for Rome, A for Ancient, etc.)
- After being unfrozen, the Doctor kisses Rose Tyler for the joy of being alive.
- This is the first Tenth Doctor novel.
- Later reprints of this book removed the image of Billie Piper from the cover, presumably due to use-of-likeness issues after she had left the programme.
- This story was also released as an ebook available from the Amazon Kindle store.
- The Doctor asks Rose if she ever nearly married someone she shouldn't have. This could be a reference to Rose's marriage to Tillun in PROSE: Only Human. Alternatively it could be a reference to Rose's engagement to former boyfriend Jimmy Stone, although this occurred before Rose first met the Doctor.
Audio release Edit
- The story was released as an audiobook on 2x CD read by David Tennant.
- The audiobook is also available as a download from the AudioGo website.
- Detailed synopsis of The Stone Rose at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: The Stone Rose at The Whoniverse