The Story of Martha (anthology) has been suggested.
Talk about it here.
The Story of Martha was a novella collection, the twenty-second Tenth Doctor book released and the first of the full-length New Series Adventures volumes to not be a single-storyline novel. It was the last to feature Martha Jones and was set during the Year That Never Was.
Publisher's summary Edit
For a year, while the Master ruled over Earth, Martha Jones travelled the world telling people stories about the Doctor. She told people of how the Doctor has saved them before, and how he will save them again.
This is that story. It tells of Martha's travels from her arrival on Earth as the Toclafane attacked and decimated the population through to her return to Britain to face the Master. It tells how she spread the word and told people about the Doctor. The story of how she survived that terrible year.
But it's more than that. This is also a collection of the stories she tells - the stories of adventures she had with the Doctor that we haven't heard about before. The stories that inspired and saved the world . . .
to be added
- The Weeping by David Roden
- Breathing Space by Steve Lockley and Paul Lewis
- The Frozen Wastes by Robert Shearman
- Star-Crossed by Simon Jowett
- Dan Abnett wrote the linking material.
- Martha Jones
- UCFA Griffin
- The Master
- ADC Dexter
- Bob Rafferty
- 'Yank' James Handley
- Sean Jenks
- Gordon 'Toffy' Bremner
- The Doctor
- Tom Milligan
- Mathieu Vivier
In a Flashback
- The plant that the Drast have control of is called Koban. A koban is a Japanese police box.
- The Underground is a resistance group.
- A statue of the Master is erected outside of Izmir, Turkey.
- This is the first multiple-author release in the current BBC Books line. The short story format makes it the first release of its kind by BBC Books since it passed its Short Trips series on to Big Finish Productions. The format of a short-story collection focusing on a companion or other character would be revisited in 2015 with the publication of the similarly formatted The Legends of Ashildr and again in 2016 with The Legends of River Song.
- Discounting created-for-novels companions Bernice Summerfield and Roz Forrester (subjects of a series of novels and an entry in the Virgin Decalogs series, respectively), this is the first licensed, book-length release to focus on a single TV companion since Harry Sullivan's War more than two decades earlier.
- This is also the first time the current BBC Books line has published a novel based upon a televised episode, although it is not a novelisation. However the final and first moments of TV: The Sound of Drums and TV: Last of the Time Lords respectively are novelised.
- This release marks the first time a former companion has returned to the covers of the TDA line after having been replaced by the new companion. In this case, Martha returns after having been replaced for several books by Donna Noble. It is also the last TDA release until the beginning of the eleventh Doctor novels in 2010: all releases in 2009 feature the Doctor travelling alone.
- This novel also features another alien species called the Drast.
- This story was also released as an ebook available from the Amazon Kindle store.
- The Master and the events of TV: The Sound of Drums are mentioned.
- The Master has the Toclafane burn the islands of Japan in this book. This was referenced by Tish Jones in TV: Last of the Time Lords. The attack was because of an alien species called the Drast settling there.
- UNIT, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart and Sergeant John Benton are referenced.
- The monuments of The Master seen in TV: Last of the Time Lords appear.
- The Master's face being carved into Mount Rushmore is mentioned, as stated in TV: Last of the Time Lords.
Audio release Edit
- The story was released as an audiobook on 2x CD read by Freema Agyeman, containing only the overall linking narrative. The four short stories included in the book were released separately as download-only purchases.