|The Story of Martha|
|Main enemy:||The Master, The Drast, Toclafane|
|Main setting:||Earth, May 2008 - May 2009 (The Year That Never Was)|
|Writer:||Dan Abnett (with David Roden, Steve Lockley, Paul Lewis, Robert Shearman & Simon Jowett)|
|Release date:||26 December 2008|
|Format:||Hardcover, 238 pages|
|BBC New Series Adventures|
|Shining Darkness||Beautiful Chaos|
Publisher's summary Edit
For a year, while the Master ruled over Earth, Martha Jones travelled the world telling people stories about the Doctor. She told people of how the Doctor has saved them before, and how he will save them again.
This is that story. It tells of Martha's travels from her arrival on Earth as the Toclafane attacked and decimated the population through to her return to Britain to face the Master. It tells how she spread the word and told people about the Doctor. The story of how she survived that terrible year.
But it's more than that. This is also a collection of the stories she tells - the stories of adventures she had with the Doctor that we haven't heard about before. The stories that inspired and saved the world . . .
to be added
- The Weeping by David Roden
- Breathing Space by Steve Lockley and Paul Lewis
- The Frozen Wastes by Robert Shearman
- Star-Crossed by Simon Jowett
- Dan Abnett wrote the linking material.
In a Flashback
- The plant that the Drast have control of is called Koban. A koban is a Japanese police box.
- This is the first multiple-author release in the current BBC Books line. The short story format makes it the first release of its kind by BBC Books since it passed its Short Trips series on to Big Finish Productions.
- Discounting created-for-novels companions Bernice Summerfield and Roz Forrester (subjects of a series of novels and an entry in the Virgin Decalogs series, respectively), this is the first licensed, book-length release to focus on a single TV companion since Harry Sullivan's War more than two decades earlier.
- This is also the first time the current BBC Books line has published a novel based upon a televised episode, although it is not a novelisation.
- This release marks the first time a former companion has returned to the covers of the TDA line after having been replaced by the new companion. In this case, Martha returns after having been replaced for several books by Donna Noble. It is also the last TDA release until the beginning of the eleventh Doctor novels in 2010: all releases in 2009 feature the Doctor travelling alone.
- This novel also features another alien species called the Drast.
- This story was also released as an ebook available from the Amazon Kindle store.
- The Master and the events of TV: The Sound of Drums are mentioned.
- The Master has the Toclafane burn the islands of Japan in this book. This was referenced by Tish Jones in TV: Last of the Time Lords. The attack was because of an alien species called the Drast settling there.
- UNIT, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart and Sergeant John Benton are referenced.
- The monuments of The Master seen in TV: Last of the Time Lords appear.
- The Master's face being carved into Mount Rushmore is mentioned, as stated in TV: Last of the Time Lords.
Audio release Edit
- The story was released as an audiobook on 2x CD read by Freema Agyeman, containing only the overall linking narrative. The four short stories included in the book were released separately as download-only purchases.
- The audiobook is also available as a download from the AudioGo website.