The Ties that Bind Us was a documentary that examined the continuity links that were mentioned in the The Five Doctors. It was narrated by Paul McGann. The documentary was included on the DVD release of The Five Doctors 25th Anniversary Edition.
Below is a list of the continuity references that were made in The Five Doctors and the stories that related to the references.
- The speech by William Hartnell at the end of The Dalek Invasion of Earth.
- Both anniversary stories, The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors, introduced a new TARDIS console room.
- The reference as the TARDIS being more than a machine:
- Hitting the console, to get it to work:
- The Eye of Orion has been mentioned in:
- The return of actor David Savile, who first appeared with Patrick Troughton in The War Games; they shared a scene in The Five Doctors.
- The Brigadier's line, "Wonderful chap. All of them", a reference to the fact that the Brigadier has met the first five incarnations of the Doctor.
- The Terrible Zodin was mentioned first in The Five Doctors and later in Attack of the Cybermen. It was also mentioned in The Mad Woman in the Attic.
- Patrick Troughton's coat is identical to the one he wore in The Abominable Snowmen. The Yeti from that same story also appeared.
- Patrick Troughton's line, "You've had this place redecorated, haven't you? I don't like it", was a reference to The Three Doctors.
- Jon Pertwee driving Bessie - the car first appeared in Doctor Who and the Silurians and was used throughout his tenure as the Doctor and in Tom Baker's first story.
- Sarah Jane Smith and K9 - although having not met in the stories but were featured in a spin off story K9 and Company.
- Paul Jerricho returns as the Castellan and the line, "...its a lie. The Doctor wants revenge", is a reference to Arc of Infinity.
- The appearance of Borusa - he has been seen before:
- The Master is offered a new life cycle - it was established in The Deadly Assassin that he was in his final incarnation.
- The recall signal was first mentioned/seen in The Hand of Fear and Arc of Infinity.
- Rassilon and his items have been mentioned before in The Deadly Assassin and The Invasion of Time. The Seal of Rassilon was also seen again; it was seen in the mentioned stories and in Revenge of the Cybermen.
- Gallifrey was the setting for the story; it has been mentioned before in past stories.
- The return of Carole Ann Ford as the Doctor's granddaughter and companion Susan Foreman; she last appeared in The Dalek Invasion of Earth.
- Former companions Liz Shaw, Mike Yates, Jamie McCrimmon and Zoe Herriot make an appearance.
- The Doctor's academic years have been mentioned before:
- Jon Pertwee's line, "I've reversed the polarity of the neutron flow", has been heard in:
- The Fifth Doctor passing the office of President to Flavia, and mentioned to his companions, "...that's how it all started".
The documentary ends with a montage of clips from the past 20 years, which included companions, the TARDIS, enemies, alien worlds, regeneration and tea.