a real world point of view
|The Time Meddler|
|Based on:||The Time Meddler|
|Main enemy:||The Monk|
|Main setting:||England, 1066|
|Publisher:||Target Books, W.H. Allen & Co|
|Release date:||October 1987 (hardcover)|
March 1988 (paperback)
|Format:||Hardcover and paperback editions, 144 Pages|
|The Chase||Galaxy Four|
- This novelisation is based on the original television serial usually called TV: The Time Meddler, which included individual episode titles. It was written by Dennis Spooner and shown from 3 July 1965.
- The cover and information on the right are for the original Target edition. It featured the artwork of Jeff Cummins. (See below for information on editions with different covers.)
Publisher's summary Edit
1988 edition Edit
When the TARDIS materialises on an apparently deserted Northumbrian beach, Steven disputes the Doctor's claim that they have travelled back to the eleventh century. The discovery of a modern wristwatch in a nearby forest merely reinforces his opinion.
But it is 1066, the most important date in English history, and the Doctor's arrival has not gone unnoticed. Observing the appearance of the TARDIS is a mysterious monk who recognises the time-machine for what it is. He also knows that the Doctor poses a serious threat to his master plan - a plan which, if successful, could alter the future of the entire world...
Deviations from televised story Edit
- Although not technically a deviation, the novelisation states quite clearly that the Doctor and the Monk recognise each other immediately whereas the televised story, arguably, gives no such indication.
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- The inside back cover includes colour details of "Fantastic Doctor Who Poster Offers!".
- The Virgin edition was a rushed reprint to coincide with the 1992 repeat screening of this serial on BBC Two, and bore a red hexagonal flash reading NOW BACK ON TELEVISION. The cover artwork was reused, but for reasons unknown a reverse image was used.
Additional cover images Edit
British publication history Edit
- Hardback (October 1987)
- W.H.Allen & Co. Ltd. UK ISBN:0491033370, copies priced £7.95 (UK))
- Paperback (March 1988)
- Target / W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. One single paperback edition, estimated print run: 22,500, priced £1.99 (UK).
- Paperback (May 1992)
- Target / Virgin Publishing Cover artwork was reversed, priced £2.99 (UK).
Editions published outside Britain Edit
To be added
See also Edit