Publisher's summary Edit
1988 edition Edit
When the TARDIS materialises on an apparently deserted Northumbrian beach, Steven disputes the Doctor's claim that they have travelled back to the eleventh century. The discovery of a modern wristwatch in a nearby forest merely reinforces his opinion.
But it is 1066, the most important date in English history, and the Doctor's arrival has not gone unnoticed. Observing the appearance of the TARDIS is a mysterious monk who recognises the time-machine for what it is. He also knows that the Doctor poses a serious threat to his master plan - a plan which, if successful, could alter the future of the entire world...
Chapter titles Edit
- The Watcher
- The Saxons
- The Monastery
- Prisoners of the Saxons
- The Vikings
- An Empty Cell
- Unwelcome Visitors
- The Secret of the Monastery
- The Monk's Master Plan
- A Threat to the Future
- A Parting Gift
Deviations from televised story Edit
- In a prologue, Steven makes his way through the jungle, trying to avoid the Fungoids, and comes across the TARDIS.
- Although not technically a deviation, the novelisation states quite clearly that the Doctor and the Monk recognise each other immediately whereas the televised story, arguably, gives no such indication.
- In an epilogue featuring original content, the Monk makes several additional efforts to change the outcome of the Battle of Hastings, after his original plan fails, and before he discovers that the Doctor has marooned him in 1066.
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- The inside back cover includes colour details of "Fantastic Doctor Who Poster Offers!".
- The Virgin edition was a rushed reprint to coincide with the 1992 repeat screening of this serial on BBC Two, and bore a red hexagonal flash reading NOW BACK ON TELEVISION. The cover artwork was reused, but for reasons unknown a reverse image was used.
- The cover for the original Target edition featured the artwork of Jeff Cummins.
Audio release Edit
- An audiobook of the novelisation was released 6 October 2016 by BBC Physical Audio, read by Peter Purves.
Additional cover images Edit
to be added
British publication history Edit
- Hardback (October 1987)
- W.H.Allen & Co. Ltd. UK ISBN:0491033370, copies priced £7.95 (UK))
- Paperback (March 1988)
- Target / W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. One single paperback edition, estimated print run: 22,500, priced £1.99 (UK).
- Paperback (May 1992)
- Target / Virgin Publishing Cover artwork was reversed, priced £2.99 (UK).
to be added