It was the third story of a trilogy written, directed and produced by Nigel Fairs. It brought to a close the tale of Leela's death after the end of the Last Great Time War. It was preceded by The Catalyst and Empathy Games.
Like the earlier chapters, Vampire had an unusual narrative structure in which an older, dying, post-Time War Leela told the story of an encounter with the Z'nai in her youthful travels with the Fourth Doctor.
Leela, in her last moments of life, recalls a long-forgotten memory: a time in the TARDIS. The Doctor is worried that K9's increasingly bizarre behaviour might become dangerous. He decides to make a new model, little knowing that the fate of all three time travellers has long since been decided.
As Leela recalls the chilling connection between K9's "illness", the Z'nai and the haunted sea fort in which the TARDIS lands, she prepares for her final journey: into the land of her ancestors, the Afterlife.
to be added
- The Sevateem believe in reincarnation.
- There were giant jungle birds on Leela's home planet.
- Mr Holland refers to the Great Plague of 7382.
- Vera Tancredi's family were killed in front of her by a Time Vampire when she was four years old.
- The Doctor previously visited Westtropi III more than fifty years earlier during his third incarnation. He was travelling with Lord Joshua Douglas at the time.
- This is the only appearance of K9 Mark I in The Companion Chronicles.
- This audio drama was recorded on 21 January 2010.
- Leela refers to being held prisoner by the Z'nai for many years. (AUDIO: The Catalyst, Empathy Games)
- Leela refers to the secondary control room being damaged by fire. (AUDIO: Empathy Games)
- Leela refers to Xoanon. (TV: The Face of Evil)
- The Doctor refers to H'mbrackle while Leela mentions that he killed Joshua Douglas in the 1900s. (AUDIO: The Catalyst)
- The elderly Leela sees her younger self entering the TARDIS for the first time (TV: The Face of Evil), spinning the Doctor's yo-yo as she thought that it was part of the TARDIS' magic (TV: The Robots of Death) and encountering H'mbrackle in England in the 1900s (AUDIO: The Catalyst).