|The Trials of Tara|
|Main enemy:||Augmentio, Grendel, Kandyman|
|Main setting:||Tara, 24th century|
|Part of:||Decalog 2: Lost Property|
|Where the Heart Is||Housewarming|
Strella sets up a series of competitions for any male who enters the castle; anyone who loses will be killed, and she will marry the final victor. Benny and the Doctor are required to participate, and they are joined by Augmentio, a prince from another kingdom.
The Doctor, Benny and Augmentio pass several challenges, then a troop of performing females arrive, and the Doctor suggests that the three "men" dress as women and participate in a performance with the Players. While Benny fails at being a convincing woman, the Doctor exposes Augmentio as an android. Augmentio confesses that his task was to marry Strella, then murder her. The Doctor adjusts his programming, and Augmentio returns to Grendel, freeing Titania and telling Grendel that he did not kill Strella. The Kandyman kills Augmentio.
Grendel and his men surround the castle, but the fairies, led by Oberon, appear, and the battle begins. The Kandyman kidnaps Strella for ransom. The Doctor and several of Strella's men, accompanied by the female Players, appear, and the Players reveal themselves to be Reynart and his men, who had been caught in a temporal trap. The Kandyman threatens to kill Strella, but Grendel's men won't let him and kill him. Grendel runs away and his army surrenders.
- Seventh Doctor
- Bernice Summerfield
- The Kandyman
- First Witch
- Second Witch
- Third Witch
- The Doctor tells Benny that Strella resembles his friend Romana I.
- The Doctor was given land on Tara by Prince Reynart.
- This has been written in "play format", with affected archaic language.
- The stories in Decalog 2 have a common theme of homes owned or acquired by the Doctor. The home in this story is the land he owns on Tara.
- The Doctor tells Benny of his previous visit to Tara (TV: The Androids of Tara) and his previous encounter with the Kandyman. (TV: The Happiness Patrol)