a real world point of view
|Doctor Who – The Underwater Menace|
|Based on:||The Underwater Menace|
|Companion(s):||Ben, Polly, Jamie|
|Main enemy:||Professor Zaroff|
|Main setting:||Atlantis, post-1968|
|Publisher:||Target Books, W. H. Allen and Co. Ltd. UK|
|Release date:||February 1988 (hardcover)|
July 1988 (paperback)
|Format:||Hardcover and paperback editions, 144 Pages|
|The Highlanders||Doctor Who and the Cybermen|
- This novelisation is based on the original television serial TV: The Underwater Menace, written by Geoffrey Orme and shown from 14 January 1967.
- The cover and information on the right are for the original Target edition. It featured the artwork of Alister Pearson. (See below for information on editions with different covers).
Publisher's summary Edit
When the TARDIS lands on a deserted volcanic island the Doctor and his companions find themselves kidnapped by primitive sea-people. Taken into the bowels of the earth they discover they are in the lost kingdom of Atlantis.
Offered as sacrifices to the fish-goddess, Amdo, the Doctor and his companions are rescued from the jaws of death by the famous scientist, Zaroff.
But they are still not safe and nor are the people of Atlantis. For Zaroff has a plan, a plan that will make him the greatest scientist of all time - he will raise Atlantis above the waves - even if it means destroying the world…
- Contains no illustrated pages
Deviations from televised story Edit
To be added
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- Unable to use the Second Doctor Patrick Troughton's likeness because of rights issues, the first draft by Alister Pearson was rejected. This was the first commission for Pearson (who did eighty-seven covers over six years) and was given photographic reference material from Doctor Who Magazine Issue 78.
- This title also marked the redesign of the covers. They now featured a new logo and the top third of the cover blocked off.
- Inside back cover features Fantastic Doctor Who Poster Offers-without details!
- Also features Doctor Who 25th Anniversary Bonanza Competition.
Additional cover images Edit
To be added
British publication history Edit
- Hardback (February 1988)
- W.H.Allen & Co. Ltd. UK ISBN:0491034962, copies priced £7.95)
- Paperback (February 1988)
- Target / W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. One single paperback edition, estimated print run: 22,500, priced £1.99 (UK).
(Internal ISBN: 0426203367 and external ISBN as 0426203267)
Editions published outside Britain Edit
To be added
See also Edit