a real world point of view
|The Vanity Box|
|Main enemy:||The Wishing Beast|
|Main setting:||Salford, England, 1965|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Release date:||July 2007|
|Big Finish Doctor Who audio stories|
|The Wishing Beast||Frozen Time|
Publisher's summary Edit
The Vanity Box (A One-Part Story)
A strange beauty parlour has opened its doors for business in a dowdy Salford terrace circa 1965. Monsieur Coiffure is the talk of the street with his fabulous make-overs. When the Doctor arrives, however, he knows at once that there's been some unnatural titivation going on.
to be added
- The Doctor - Colin Baker
- Melanie Bush - Bonnie Langford
- Nesta Trubshaw - Diana Flacks
- Winnie - Christine Moore
- Bessy Tiplington / Barmaid - Rachel Laurence
- Monsieur Coiffure / The Wishing Beast - Toby Longworth
- Mel refers to Ready Steady Go! and Carnaby Street.
- The Doctor orders a pint of blackcurrant squash with water rather than soda in The Sailor's End.
- From the Doctor's dress and manner, Winnie believes that he may have just been released from either prison or a mental asylum.
- The Doctor describes the Vanity Box as an "excessively chintzy establishment."
- While disguised as a "provincial dolly bird," the Doctor tells Monsieur Coiffure that "two Yanks helped me up the statue in Piccadilly Gardens" on VE Night on 8 May 1945.
- The Doctor buys a milk stout for Nesta in The Sailor's End.
- The Vanity Box is only one episode long. The other three episodes on the discs are of The Wishing Beast.
- This was the final appearance of Bonnie Langford as Melanie Bush in a Big Finish audio drama until AUDIO: The Wrong Doctors in January 2013.
- The Vanity Box takes places immediately after the events of AUDIO: The Wishing Beast, from the Doctor and Mel's perspective. However, those events have not taken place from the perspective of the Wishing Beast.
- The Doctor previously visited 1965 on three occasions during his first incarnation. (TV: The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve, TV: The Daleks' Master Plan, PROSE: The Meeting) He would later do so again during his eighth (PROSE: The Space Age) and eleventh incarnations (AUDIO: Blackout).
- The Doctor previously disguised himself as a woman on two occasions during his second incarnation (TV: The Highlanders, AUDIO: The Glorious Revolution) and once during his third incarnation (TV: The Green Death).
- Detailed synopsis of The Vanity Box at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- Official The Vanity Box page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for The Vanity Box at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide