|The Vault of Secrets|
|Script release:||online here and here|
|Main character(s):||Sarah Jane, Clyde, Rani, Mr Smith|
|Featuring:||Luke, Haresh, Gita|
|Main enemy:||Androvax, Alliance of Shades, Mister Dread|
|Main setting:||Ealing, St Jude's Hospital, 2010|
|Premiere broadcast:||18 - 19 October 2010|
|Format:||2x30 minute episodes|
|SJA television stories|
|The Nightmare Man||Death of the Doctor|
The Vault of Secrets was the second story in the fourth series of The Sarah Jane Adventures. Androvax returned, and the Alliance of Shades made their live-action debut after being introduced in Dreamland.
When an old enemy, Androvax the Veil, returns to Earth asking for help, the gang face a dilemma — should they trust him? Or does the legendary Vault hold an even greater terror? A second threat arises, when android guardians threaten to destroy anyone who uncovers their secrets. As the battle between Sarah Jane, Androvax and the androids reaches its climax, Rani has to save her mother from being caught in the crossfire. The Vault opens and the destiny of the entire Veil species is at stake. Is it too late to save them?
A teenage girl enters an old asylum and approaches the Vault of Secrets. She tries to access it, but only has one disc and needs two. She is confronted by the Alliance of Shades. She runs, hurts herself and falls over. Androvax, the "destroyer of worlds", exits her body and escapes. The Alliance of Shades (a.k.a. Men in Black) arrive and scan the unconscious girl. They announce the Veil is no longer in her.
Sarah Jane, Clyde and Rani are in the attic, speaking to Luke on webcam. Mr Smith interferes with a NASA space probe on Mars, as Sarah Jane wishes to prevent the probe discovering an "ancient and deadly civilisation".
Gita and her husband Haresh have joined B.U.R.P.S.S. (British UFO Research and Paranormal Studies Society) after their encounter with the Judoon and Androvax. When the couple return home on Bannerman Road, Gita spots Androvax entering Sarah Jane's front garden.
Gita gives Haresh a tyre iron and he goes to investigate. He encounters Sarah Jane, Rani and Clyde, leaving after speaking with them. Unseen, Androvax enters Rani's body. Sarah Jane scans for alien activity and realises Rani has been taken over. Sarah Jane and Clyde chase her/him to the attic and order Mr Smith to contain him after he willingly exits Rani's body. Surprisingly, he asks for Sarah Jane's help.
They learn Androvax is dying. Since they last encountered him, he has escaped a Judoon prison in a swamp. In doing so, he was poisoned by an alien swamp viper. He is dying slowly and intends to free a hundred of his people from cryogenic sleep in the Vault of Secrets. They are the last survivors of the Veil species aside from Androvax himself. Forty years ago, their ship crashed on Earth and was sent to the Vault by the Alliance of Shades.
Ocean Waters (B.U.R.P.S.S.'s founder) arrives with Minty to scan for alien activity by picking up beta particles. Sarah Jane uses her sonic lipstick to deactivate this device.
The three of them go to investigate a mental asylum, where they find the base of the Men in Black. They discover Ocean Waters was abducted in 1972 and met the Men in Black. The Men in Black arrive to confront them. They activate their robotic hands. They tell Sarah Jane that she must hand over Androvax and their disc or be incinerated.
The gang arrive home, where they agree to let Androvax use Clyde's body. They speak to Ocean and Minty. Ocean has the other disc needed to enter the Vault. She recalls past encounters with the Men in Black and Mister Dread. As Androvax grabs the two discs, the Men in Black arrive and tell them to prepare to be incinerated.
The incineration is averted. Androvax escapes and enters Gita's body. Gita leaves to the Vault. She is followed by Mister Dread, Sarah Jane, Rani and Clyde. Sarah Jane makes Mister Dread's car malfunction, so he acquires a new one (which he takes from a civillian by force).
They all arrive at the asylum, where Rani and Clyde rescue Gita. Androvax leaves and encounters Sarah Jane. She refuses to help him because when the Veil are reawakened and leave Earth, the spaceships will make Earth explode, ending human civilisation. Androvax takes over her body.
Clyde jumps away from an incineration blast from two Men in Black and the two men destroy each other. Rani explains to her mother about aliens and how Sarah Jane, she and Clyde have met them. Mister Dread is placed into his capsule and made to sleep. Androvax goes to the Vault in Sarah Jane's body. When Rani, Clyde and Gita run in at the point Androvax wants to open the vault, Androvax pretends to be Sarah. He/she lies to the gang, telling them that Androvax is dead and that they don't need to be worried about them and then opens the Vault, revealing many spaceships. Androvax leaves Sarah's body, and locks himself inside the Vault, which uses a transmat to make it bigger on the inside. The team awaken Mister Dread, who gives up four hundred fifty years of his energy to allow Androvax and his race to leave Earth without harming anybody, by being beamed into space.
Mister Dread is low on power and declares his mission terminated. He erases Gita's memory, lest she tell the world about their experiences. He goes to sleep in his capsule.
The team returns home. Ocean and Minty arrive to ask about the Men in Black. Sarah Jane denies everything and Gita says she doesn't believe in aliens. Minty and Ocean say that the aliens have won again and leave.
Androvax is in outer space. He flies away to find a new world for his species. As the Veil ship departs, his voice can be heard narrating, "Somewhere, there is a new planet for the Veil. A new hope, it is the legacy of Androvax, a new beginning... a second genesis."
- Sarah Jane Smith - Elisabeth Sladen
- Luke Smith - Tommy Knight
- Rani Chandra - Anjli Mohindra
- Gita Chandra - Mina Anwar
- Clyde Langer - Daniel Anthony
- Mr Smith - Alexander Armstrong
- Haresh Chandra - Ace Bhatti
- Androvax - Mark Goldthorp
- Mister Dread - Angus Wright
- Ocean Waters - Cheryl Campbell
- Melvin Minton - David Webber
- Gill - Sophie Benjamin
- Van Driver - Perry Blanks
Created by Russell T Davies
|Executive Producers Russell T Davies and Nikki Wilson|
|General production staff|
Camera and lighting department
|Make-up and prosthetics
Special and visual effects
|Not every person who worked on this adventure was credited. The absence of a credit for a position doesn't necessarily mean the job wasn't required. The information above is based solely on observations of the actual end credits of the episodes as broadcast, and does not relay information from IMDB or other sources.|
- Sarah Jane mentions there were ancient civilisations on Mars. She jams the transmission of Mars Rover to prevent it from picking up images of a pyramid. She also mentions that Mars is full of its own dangers.
- Gita mentions the Judoon and Androvax, though only by description as she does not know their names.
- Sarah Jane mentions Dragon's Den.
- Clyde refers to Men in Black, and Rani refers to Will Smith.
- Luke told Clyde that his university friends live off of baked beans and curry. Clyde says it must be like living with Slitheen.
- Dread introduces himself in a manner similar to James Bond.
- Once the two agents are destroyed, Clyde picks up the sunglasses and puts them on, saying, "Hasta la vista". He later say that they were "Clydenated". Both are references to The Terminator films.
- Sarah Jane asks if Mister Dread called the AA, a reference to AA Travel Insurance.
- Gita mentions George Clooney and Jeremy Paxman.
- Clyde refers to Ocean and Minty as "Mulder" and "Scully", characters from The X-Files.
- The car that the Men in Black were driving was a Humber Super Snipe.
- Androvax is also portrayed in this story by Elisabeth Sladen, Mina Anwar, Anjli Mohindra, Daniel Anthony and Sophie Benjamin. They portray Androvax when he is possessing their characters' bodies.
- Part 1 — 731,000
- Part 2 — 606,000
to be added
- Androvax last appeared in TV: Prisoner of the Judoon in which Gita saw Judoon and him.
- Sarah Jane went to the Mars pyramid with the Fourth Doctor in TV: Pyramids of Mars.
- Mr. Smith previously used his containment vortex on Mrs Wormwood in TV: Enemy of the Bane.
- Consequences of Sarah Jane asking Mr Dread to erase Gita's memory will be felt in AUDIO: Judgement Day.
Home video releases
- This story was included in the Complete 4th Series DVD release (UK release: 31 October 2011; North American release: 6 December 2011).
- This story was included in the Complete 4th Series Blu-ray release (UK release: 31 October 2011; not released in North America).
- The Vault of Secrets at Shannon Sullivan's A Brief History of Time (Travel)
- The Vault of Secrets at The Locations Guide