a real world point of view
|The Veiled Leopard|
|Main character(s):||Peri Brown, Erimem|
|Main setting:||Monte Carlo, Monaco, 1966|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Writer:||Iain McLaughlin and Claire Bartlett|
|Release date:||March 2006|
|Format:||2 episodes on 1 CD|
|Doctor Who - Specially Released Audio Dramas|
Publisher's summary Edit
Four time travellers. Two missions. One costumed ball. The Doctor has sent Peri and Erimem to prevent the fabulous Veiled Leopard diamond from being stolen. Which is odd, seeing as the Doctor has sent Ace and Hex to steal the diamond. How will the two teams cope with this contradictory task? Will Peri's asp slip? Why does Ace have to pretend to be a French maid? How will Erimem cope with Pharaoh Rammalamadingdong? And can Hex really "do posh"?
Part One Edit
The Seventh Doctor has previously talked to the Fifth Doctor about a plan to stop the theft of the Veiled Leopard, a precious diamond which contains a code to rebuild a world which was lost. They talked about returning it to its owners. Peri and Erimem stop the jewel thief and return it to its safe, completely ignorant that it is, in fact, a piece of alien technology.
Part Two Edit
Ace and Hex go to find the diamond to steal it. Luckily, this happened after Peri and Erimem stopped the jewel thief. This time, the Doctor has explained why it is so important. Unfortunately, they arrive too late and have to stop another thief who is trying to steal the diamond so that the owner can become even more rich. Ace finds a shortcut, and stops the thief, but before she can leave, she must explain herself to Peri, Erimem and a few other people.
- Peri Brown - Nicola Bryant
- Erimem - Caroline Morris
- Ace - Sophie Aldred
- Hex - Philip Olivier
- Lady Lillian Hawthorne - Lizzie Hopley
- Peter Mathis - Alan Ruscoe
- Gavin Walker - Steven Wickham
- Jean, the Commissionaire - Stephen Mansfield
- Before the events of this story from their perspective, Peri and Erimem observed the Doctor arguing with a "kooky little guy in a weird pullover" who kept staring at them strangely. They are curious as to his identity.
- Ace and Hex use the Doctor's sonic screwdriver.
- Peri, Ace and Hex all refer to the James Bond film series. Peri mentions that she used to watch the films with her late father Paul Brown while growing up and compares the Casino Majestique in Monte Carlo, 1966 to the sort of venue frequently featured in the films.
- Ace mentions Upstairs, Downstairs while Hex mentions the Carry On film series.
- The Fifth and Seventh Doctors give all of their respective companions the pseudonym "Smith."
- Hex learns that Ace's true first name is Dorothy.
- This story was released free with Doctor Who Magazine #367.
- The CD contains trailers for other Big Finish titles.
- Peri and Erimem on the one hand and Ace and Hex on the other observe their counterparts in the crowd several times over the course of their respective episodes but do not actually interact. Consequently, each companion pair remain ignorant of what they have in common.
- The first and second halves of this story take place at the same time. The same is true of both AUDIO: Flip-Flop and AUDIO: Peri and the Piscon Paradox.
- With the exception of the non-canonical Children in Need special Dimensions in Time, this is the only story in performed Doctor Who to feature both Peri and Ace to date.
- The Fifth and Seventh Doctors met each other in PROSE: Cold Fusion and AUDIO: The Sirens of Time. They would later meet each other once in their eighth incarnation's TARDIS in AUDIO: The Four Doctors, though neither retained any memory of that experience.
- Erimem is still uncomfortable talking about her father following the recent revelations about him. (AUDIO: The Roof of the World)
- After dropping off Peri and Erimem in 1966, the Fifth Doctor travels to Brisbane, Australia on 22 September 2006, where he is unexpectedly reunited with his former companion Tegan Jovanka. (AUDIO: The Gathering)
- After dropping off Ace and Hex in 1966, the Seventh Doctor travels to Világ (AUDIO: Thicker than Water) to tell his former companion Evelyn Smythe that Hex is in actuality "Little Tommy," the son of Cassie Schofield whom she and the Sixth Doctor had met in 1999 and 2004 (AUDIO: Project: Twilight, AUDIO: Project: Lazarus).
- Peri would meet the Seventh Doctor formally on Krontep. (PROSE: Bad Therapy)