This novel featured Liz Shaw's first journey in the TARDIS and was set after Liz had departed from UNIT and following the Doctor's exile on Earth (after the television story The Three Doctors).
The Doctor has always been wary of meddling with established history. But what happens when the history books lie?
With the secrets of time-travel restored to him after his long exile on Earth, the Doctor decides to test out the TARDIS with a trip into the past. Accompanying him are his assistant, Jo, and an old friend, scientist Liz Shaw. Soon after landing, the travellers realise they have landed at one of the most significant periods of Earth's history — and one of the most dangerous...
to be added
- Third Doctor
- Jo Grant
- Liz Shaw
- Grigori Rasputin
- Tsar Nicholas II
- Tsaritsa Alexandra
- Anya Vyrubova
- Arkady Morovich
- Kit Powell
- Viktor Vasiliyev
- Jo has seen a film about Rasputin and is aware of the Boney M song about him.
Foods and beverages
- Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart's paternal grandfather, who was also named Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart, worked with the British ambassador to Russia, Bertie Stopford, in Military Intelligence before and during the First World War until the Russian Revolution of 1917. At that time his brother served as a captain in the Royal Artillery, and had two sons.
- This is the Doctor's first test-flight since regaining his time travel knowledge.
- The front cover of the novel features a photograph of the actual Rasputin.
- Jo tells Liz that she failed General Science at "O" level. (TV: Terror of the Autons)
- Jo recalls being hypnotised by the Master (TV: Terror of the Autons) and the 22nd century Dalek invasion of Earth in an alternative timeline. (TV: Day of the Daleks)
- The First Doctor previously encountered Rasputin in Siberia in 1903 in the company of Ian Chesterton, Barbara Wright and Susan Foreman. However, Rasputin's memory of that incident was erased. (AUDIO: The Wanderer)
- The Discontinuity Guide to: The Wages of Sin at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: The Wages of Sin