|The Well-Mannered War|
|Main enemy:||The Darkness, the Black Guardian|
|Main setting:||Barclow, the far future|
|Release date:||17 April 1997|
|Format:||Paperback Book, 293 Pages|
|Virgin Missing Adventures|
|The Dark Path||none|
The Well-Mannered War was the thirty-third and final novel in the Virgin Missing Adventures series. It was written by Gareth Roberts. It featured the Fourth Doctor, K9 Mark II, Romana II and the Black Guardian. Uniquely, it portrays Romana borrowing articles of clothing from the Doctor's old wardrobe. The ending, where the Doctor defeats the Black Guardian by banishing himself to the Time Vortex, may explain why, in The Leisure Hive, it felt like years had passed for the Doctor and Romana.
Barclow - an Earth-type planet on the fringes of space at an inestimably distant point in the future. Two factions claim it: humans from the nearby colony world of Metralubit and a small group of Chelonian troopers. Yet in nearly two hundred years of conflict, not one shot has been fired in anger, there are regular socials in the trenches and the military commanders are the best of friends.
The Doctor, Romana II and K9 arrive in the midst of these bizarre hostilities to find there's real trouble to come. A crucial election on Metralubit is looming and K9 is forced to begin a new career as a politician. Romana meets an old friend and the Doctor finds that a sinister hidden force may be attempting to alter the war's friendly nature.
Just what is going on?
to be added
- Fourth Doctor
- Romana II
- General Jafrid
- Admiral Dolne
- Captain Hans Viddeas
- Premier Harmock
- Menlove Stokes
- Black Guardian
- General Jafrid is the Chelonian leader in the war for Barclow.
- Admiral Dolne is the leader of the human colonists in the war.
- The planet Fridgya was devastated in the fifth Thargon-Sorsen war in 2660, according to Romana.
- K9 Mark II is programmed to protect the Doctor and Romana; this includes their emotional well-being, as well as their physical safety.
- The Black Guardian mentions adventures with the Animus, Lady Ruath and the Timewyrm.
- Galatea is leader of the Femdroids. She has a voice like sweet honey and matured rum.
- Premier Harmock believes that he represents Metralubit, but the planet is devoid of any life.
- The Doctor has a pamphlet in his pocket entitled So You're Caught in a Rocket Attack.
- The Doctor briefly mentions the Oraapi.
Theories and concepts Edit
- The Web of Death was a torture device which stretched the limbs of the victim until they were separated from the body.
- This story was released as an E-Book on the BBC website in 2006, with the book remaining on the BBC's site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/ebooks/well_mannered_war/) until 2010.
- Daryl Joyce's front and back cover art present the e-book as a Target novelisation, which it was not.
- This was the last Virgin Missing Adventures novel to be published, hence the odd cliffhanger ending.
- Romana is said to be wearing an outfit comprised of bits of the Doctor's wardrobe. While helping the Doctor do a bit of "spring cleaning", she discovers a jacket and frilly shirt worn by the Third Doctor and pairs it with the baggy, checked trousers of the Second Doctor. This fact is partially reflected in the book's cover art, which displays Romana in the frilled white shirt, bowtie, red velvet jacket and Inverness cape combination that the Third Doctor wore in Seasons 8 and 9.
- Menlove Stokes also appears in the Virgin Bernice Summerfield New Adventures. His first appearance is in the novel Oh No It Isn't!.
- Menlove Stokes remembers the Doctor, Romana and K9 from the events of PROSE: The Romance of Crime.
- Stokes has the same kind of crystal that the Fifth Doctor's companion Turlough received in TV: Mawdryn Undead.
- This story includes six illustrations from the e-book by Daryl Joyce. The illustrations, like the e-book cover, were drawn in the style of Target novelisation illustrations.
Associated images Edit
- The Well-Mannered War at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: The Well-Mannered War at The Whoniverse