The Wolves of Winter was the sixteenth story of the Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor comic series, published in 2017. The story featured Bill Potts' first appearance in the ongoing Twelfth Doctor comic series, even though it was published only a few days after her final appearance on TV in TV: The Doctor Falls. It featured the return of two Martian species from Doctor Who - the Ice Warriors and the Flood.
to be added
Main story Edit
- Twelfth Doctor
- Bill Potts
- Ingigeror Ragnavald
- Ancient One
- The Doctor says Henry III kept a polar bear at the tower. The Doctor caused a stir when he let it out for a swim in the Thames.
- Odin's ravens are called Hugin and Munin.
- This story is a rare example of using the dating system of CE (Common Era) over AD (anno domini or "In the year of our Lord")
- Bill remarks how the Vikings do not have horns. This is an in-joke reference to criticism levelled at TV: The Girl Who Died, which featured stereotypical (and historically inaccurate) horn-wearing Vikings. The Vikings seen in this story are depicted closer to how they appear in the popular TV series Vikings.
- Bill and the Doctor previously encountered the Ice Warriors in the TV episode, TV: Empress of Mars, which was clearly the former's first encounter with them. Her recognition of them in the second issue places this story after that episode.
- The Doctor tells Bill that he once fought a werewolf with the Koh-i-Noor. (TV: Tooth and Claw)
- The Doctor laments "Vikings. Again!" He also finds himself mistaken for Odin again. (TV: The Girl Who Died)
- The Ice Warriors carry the Flood. (TV: The Waters of Mars)
- Bill recognises the Ice Warriors. She had described them as being like The Vikings. (TV: Empress of Mars)
- The Doctor tells Sskoll that he is a friend of Grand Marshal Skaldak. (TV: Cold War)
- The Doctor tells the Vikings that Ragnarok was "a long time ago" and that "they made [him] play the spoons." (TV: The Greatest Show in the Galaxy)
- Putting on a spacesuit with the Doctor again, Bill is pleased that she does not have to pay for oxygen. (TV: Oxygen)
- The Doctor recognises the names of the "Asmund, Grimvald, Torkal, Halfdan. Brave Viking warriors." as he comes into contact with a messenger of Fenric. (TV: The Curse of Fenric)
to be added