The Wreck of the Titan was the one hundred and thirty-fourth monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions. It was the second part of Big Finish's wholly original season for the Sixth Doctor in 2010. It was notable for being the second adventure to feature Jamie again travelling with the Doctor.
Publisher's summary Edit
"It's the biggest ship the world has ever known — and in just twenty minutes' time it's going to hit an iceberg the size of Ben Nevis!"
The North Atlantic is a treacherous place at the best of times. 14 April 1912 is the very worst of times. The Doctor and Jamie find themselves trapped aboard the RMS Titanic, 400 miles off Newfoundland and heading towards a conclusive appointment with destiny.
But the iceberg isn't their only problem. Down in the inky depths, something is hunting: something huge, hostile and hungry. This should certainly be A Night To Remember.
to be added
- The Doctor - Colin Baker
- Jamie - Frazer Hines
- Captain - Alexander Siddig
- Professor - Christopher Fairbank
- Tess/Myra - Miranda Raison
- Teddy/John - Matt Addis
- Black Water is mentioned again.
- The story shares its title with Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan, a novella by Morgan Robertson that was published in 1898, but which eerily predicted many aspects of the 1912 Titanic disaster. A 1912 reprint of the book is featured in the narrative.
- This leads directly into the concluding story of the trilogy, AUDIO: Legend of the Cybermen.
- This audio story was recorded at The Moat Studios.
- The Doctor has referenced being on board the Titanic on several occasions, while TV: Rose established that he was present for her launch (but apparently not on board) during his ninth incarnation. The Tenth Doctor found himself aboard a spacecraft duplicate of the Titanic in TV: Voyage of the Damned.
- In TV: The End of the World, the Ninth Doctor recalls being in a ship that was called unsinkable and wound up clinging onto an iceberg. It is implied to be the Titanic but could be a reference to being on the Titan.
- There is no confusion between this audio story and the comic strip Follow That TARDIS! which says the Titanic was sunk in an attempt to capture the Monk, because the real Titanic does not appear here.
- Jamie refers to his recent encounter with the Kelpie. (AUDIO: Night's Black Agents)
- The Doctor mentions the Drashigs and the miniscope. (TV: Carnival of Monsters)
- When Jamie asks if the TARDIS can withstand a squid attack, the Doctor states that he once survived a giant squid attack on one of the moons of Delta Magna. (TV: The Power of Kroll)
- When the Doctor figures out the circumstances, he refers to the events of TV: The Mind Robber.
- Official The Wreck of the Titan page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for The Wreck of the Titan at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide