The Year After I Died was the first audio story in the anthology The Lives of Captain Jack. It starred John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness, and took place in the aftermath of The Parting of the Ways, the Doctor Who series 1 finale.
Jack has been left behind in 200,100, after having been revived for the first time. The Year After I Died takes place in 200,101, and explores the consequences of the Battle of the Game Station, furthermore bridging the gap described in the television story Utopia, where Jack makes his way back in time to find the Doctor.
Publisher's summary Edit
to be added
- Captain Jack Harkness - John Barrowman
- Vortia Trear - Sarah Douglas
- Silo Crook - Shvorne Marks
- Malfi Pryn - Scott Haran
- Gorky Sax - Aaron Neil
- In the aftermath of the Battle of the Game Station, the Earth is in ruins, half the world is dead, and those remaining deal with starvation and radiation.
- Since the bombings, there are dangerous animals on the plains; some say they're mutations of Earth species, while others hold that they're Dalek experiments.
- Since the Dalek bombing of Blackcastle, the city has been uninhabitable, though there is a refugee camp nearby.
- Trear Station was built from on the remains of the Game Station, several starliners and a couple of freight ships.
Jack Harkness Edit
- Silo Crook is a reporter, who wants to do a story on the Hope Foundation, or on Captain Jack Harkness.
- Vortia Trear started the Hope Foundation, and is easily recognised from her advertising boards.
- Malfi Pryn's sister is a gossip, who spreads the word about "big things" such as what boys you've smiled at.
- The Duchess of Poons has been after a pair of blue eyes for some time. She put a request in the system for a real pair, which they remove from Malfi Pryn.
- Silo has AB-negative blood.
- A time limpet is a Dalek weapon which erases its target from time.
- Silo thinks, at first, it might be a land mine.
- The Hope Foundation is a charity founded by Vortia Trear, which helps people relocate off the planet, and "forge a new life". Those who've "resettled" are never heard from again.
Foods and beverages Edit
- Jack has a nightcap before bed.
- Jack offers Silo reconstituted eggs for breakfast.
- Silo and Malfi have cans of coffee, nearly five hours into waiting for their numbers to be called.
- Malfi had a sandwich in the queue.
- Gorky listens to Moonlight Sonata.
- The Year After I Died was recorded, with the rest of the anthology, in mid-May 2016, alongside Torchwood: Outbreak—over a year before the audio story's eventual 2017 release. (It was performed then because John Barrowman was already in Cardiff, recording for Torchwood.)
- The Daleks ravaged Earth, leaving the planet in ruins. (TV: The Parting of the Ways)
- Jack fought in the Battle of the Game Station, and was brought back to life by the Bad Wolf entity in Rose. (TV: The Parting of the Ways)
- Jack doesn't yet realise that he's immortal. (TV: Fragments)
- Blackcastle was destroyed by the Daleks. Blackcastle was home to the Fourth Doctor's companion Sharon Davies. Beep the Meep briefly sucked the town into a black hole. (COMIC: Doctor Who and the Star Beast, The Collector, Star Beast II)
- Malfi spent months travelling from Polar Ventura, which is not as far as Reykjavik. Rose guessed Reykjavik on The Weakest Link, as the Icelandic city to have hosted Murder Spree 20, when the answer was Polar Ventura. (TV: Bad Wolf)