|Theatre of War|
|Adapted from:||Theatre of War|
|Companion(s):||Ace, Bernice Summerfield|
|Main setting:||Menaxus, Heletia and the Braxiatel Collection, 26th century|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Cover by:||Will Brooks|
|Release date:||9 December 2015|
|Format:||4 Episodes on 2 CDs|
|Big Finish Doctor Who Novel Adaptations|
|Damaged Goods||All-Consuming Fire|
Publisher's summary Edit
Years ago, an archaeological expedition came to Menaxus to explore the ruins of an ancient theatre. All but one of the team died. Now the only survivor has returned, determined to uncover the theatre's secrets.
But then the deaths begin again.
The Doctor, Ace and Benny find themselves caught up in the very real events of Shakespeare's greatest play. When they finally reach the theatre on Menaxus, the Doctor begins to realise that the truth about the planet may be far stranger than anyone imagined. With Benny doing research at the Braxiatel Collection, the Doctor and Ace head straight into an interplanetary war...
to be added
- The Doctor - Sylvester McCoy
- Ace - Sophie Aldred
- Bernice Summerfield - Lisa Bowerman
- Irving Braxiatel - Miles Richardson
- Lannic - Kirsty Besterman
- Gilmanuk - Richard Vranch
- Fortalexa - Ed Stoppard
- The Exec - Bryan Dick
- Marlock - Ramon Tikaram
- Krane - Gus Brown
- Jorvik - Milo Twomey
- Plays performed on Menaxus include Hamlet, The Myth of Artificial Intelligence and The Good Soldiers.
- This is the only novel adaptation to have been adapted by its original author.
- In the interviews section, Richards says he wrote the adaptation freshly from his original outline, rather than adapting dialogue from the original novel itself.
- In the interviews, Aldred says that this is "early Ace" and she therefore plays her as younger, but that Ace's character in the story has still "come a long way."
Deviations from the original novel Edit
- In the novel, Benny travels to Menaxus on a break from her travels in the TARDIS, and is only later joined by Ace and the Doctor. In the audio, she comes there with the Doctor and Ace. This is how it was in Richards' original proposal, but was altered to tie-in with events from Legacy.
- While the original novel was set in 3985, in the audio Benny and Gilmanuk are already acquainted, implying that it is set in Benny's home time period.
- No reference is made to Braxiatel's familial relationship with the Doctor.
- Romana previously mentioned the Braxiatel Collection. (TV: City of Death)
- The Doctor says that the animated stone creatures feel familiar, but is unsure why. (TV: Blink)
- Braxiatel hints that he has previously met Bernice, although this is the first time she has met him. (AUDIO: Disassembled)