This page lists appearances of River Song, aka Melody Pond in the order in which she experienced them. This timeline is based upon observations of the Doctor Who universe and the events that occur in each of these stories, as well as the narrative feature of CON: When Time Froze, River Song: Her Story, which states her entire history up to the airdate of that Doctor Who Confidential episode. We have attempted to build a concise timeline from these observations.
Limiting factors Edit
to be added
Series basics Edit
River Song has only appeared in a handful of Doctor Who media, mostly from series 5 and 6 of the television series, but she is noteworthy for having met the Tenth and Eleventh Doctor, as well as her parents, Amy Pond and Rory Williams in an anachronic order. As a result, the audience also sees her in an order different from how she experiences things. There are also several stories where as many as three Rivers at different points in her timestream, appear.
For the sake of clarity, her first incarnation will be referred to as "little girl" or "baby" to differentiate from her third, which dominates her appearances in the Doctor Who universe.
- As a three-week-old baby.
- As a little girl, she leaves a distressed voice message for President Nixon in 1969.
- Set decades after Day of the Moon. In a new incarnation and now going by the nickname "Mels", she's shown attending Leadworth Primary School with her parents.
- Mels fought Krampus and his minions during Year Three at Leadworth Primary School.
- Mels is shown as aging alongside her parents, appearing as a teenager and later a young adult. She reveals her true identity after being shot by Adolf Hitler and regenerates into her next incarnation who eventually embraces the alias River Song. After reviving the Doctor at the expense of her own regenerations, River is left at the Sisters of the Infinite Schism hospital.
- The first entry in River's diary is made the morning after she's admitted to the hospital.
- River enrolls at Luna University.
- The Wedding of River Song directly follows Closing Time. Her scenes from The Wedding of River Song at 2011 Lake Silencio take place near her future self. The Impossible Astronaut overlaps these events. River is imprisoned at Stormcage following The Wedding of River Song.
- In First Night and Last Night we see multiple River Songs from different points in her time stream. One River is from early in her timeline, on the first night of her imprisonment in Stormcage. The second River has been in Stormcage for not less than 5 years and not more then 6. The second River comments on the dress that the Doctor brings for the first River and asks him "does anyone agree to wear that dress?" River goes on to wear the dress in question first during the events of Day of the Moon and later for her date with the Doctor in Darillium. This places the events of The Impossible Astronaut and Day of the Moon as more than five years into her prison sentence.
- In A Good Man Goes to War we see River speak to Rory at Stormcage, and we later see River show up at the end of the Battle of Demon's Run. The River who speaks to Rory at Stormcage is likely an older River then the River at Demon's Run, as she knows when she appears and is able to reference Demon's Run in her diary. This appearance on the list is of the River who showed up after the battle.
- The Impossible Astronaut features the older River who sees her past self at the lakeside in 2011. The Wedding of River Song overlaps with these events.
- River escapes from Stormcage wearing the same cat burglar outfit she was first shown wearing in The Pandorica Opens.
- The Doctor takes River to the last Winter Frost fair for her birthday. She encounters Rory afterwards and refuses to go with him to help save her infant self.
- River is not yet a professor. She refers to the events of The Pandorica Opens to the Eleventh Doctor, who hasn't yet witnessed them and says that she is hoping to receive her pardon.
- Immediately follows the events of Flesh and Stone. River has received her pardon and goes to visit her mother.
- River has been pardoned from Stormcage and is now a professor. The events of The Angel's Kiss: A Melody Malone Mystery lead up to The Angels Take Manhattan.
- In Last Night we see multiple River Songs and multiple Eleventh Doctors from different points in their respective time streams. One of the Doctors is taking River to the Singing Towers of Darillium, which is the last time River sees the Doctor before Silence in the Library.
- The River in this episode is the River stored in the Library's computer.
- River is shown wearing the grey dress she's only ever seen wearing in Stormcage, indicating that this likely takes place while she's still incarcerated.
- River visits her parents' house and they know that she is their daughter, placing this sometime after A Good Man Goes to War.