a real world point of view
|Those Left Behind|
|Companion(s):||K9 Mark II|
|Main setting:||Shoreditch, London, 23 November 1963|
|Part of:||Short Trips: How the Doctor Changed My Life|
|ST short stories|
|Taking the Cure||Evitability|
Those Left Behind was the sixteenth short story in the Short Trips anthology Short Trips: How the Doctor Changed My Life. It was written by Violet Addison. It featured the Fourth Doctor and K9 Mark II.
to be added
- Debbie was the best friend of the Doctor's granddaughter Susan Foreman at Coal Hill School in 1963. She was born on 23 November 1948 and celebrated her 15th birthday on the day after Susan, their science teacher Mr Chesterton and their history teacher Miss Wright disappeared. She met the First Doctor on at least one occasion but the Fourth Doctor does not recall ever seeing her before. He also does not recall Susan ever mentioning Debbie but admits that he was not always the best listener.
- The Doctor offers Debbie the chance to travel with him, telling her that he could show her the crystal temples of Canopus or the signing of the Magna Carta in June 1215, but she declines the opportunity.
to be added
- Debbie notices Mr Chesteron's car parked outside of I.M. Foreman's junkyard at 76 Totter's Lane. (TV: An Unearthly Child)
- The Fourth Doctor arrives in London in November 1963 shortly after the departure of his first incarnation, Susan, Ian and Barbara (TV: An Unearthly Child) and shortly before the arrival of his seventh incarnation and Ace (TV: Remembrance of the Daleks).
- The Doctor tells Debbie that Susan decided to stay on 22nd century Earth but then amends this by adding that he chose for her. He hopes that this decision was for the best. (TV: The Dalek Invasion of Earth)
- The Doctor gives Debbie a framed black and white photograph of Ian and Barbara standing by a police box, waving at the camera and hugging each other. The frame contains a plaque that reads simply "1965". (TV: The Chase)