Publisher's summary Edit
"Welcome to the future."
The early decades of the twenty-first century. All the wars have been won. There are no rogue states. The secret services of the world keep the planet electronically monitored, safe from all threat. There is no one left for the United States and the Eurozone to fight. Except each other.
A mysterious time traveller offers a better future — he has a time machine, and with it, humanity could reach the next stage of evolution, they could share its secrets and become the new Lords of Time...
...either that, or someone could keep the technology for themselves, and use it to fight the ultimate war.
to be added
- Eighth Doctor
- Fitz Kreiner
- Anji Kapoor
- Jonah Cosgrove
- Bermuda Atkins
- Dee Gordon
- Felix Mather
- Malady Chang
- Penny Lik
- Onihr Leader
- Onihr Deputy Leader
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor uses the Bocca Scale to measure time disturbances.
- The Doctor possesses sharp enough reflexes to shoot bullets out of the air.
Fitz Kreiner Edit
- Fitz uses a RealWar robot in what he thinks is an arcade game.
- Fitz is able to pose as the Doctor when he is abducted by the Onihr (Who mistake him for the Doctor as he has one heart and has travelled through time)
Anji Kapoor Edit
- Anji finds it easier to deal with travels to distant futures than to her own near future, which leaves her confused about how to feel.
- Anji thinks about "current" technology in relation to Hitchemus's.
- Anji once flew on a Concorde when she was on a business trip and her flight was upgraded after a delay.
- The Eurozone, or EZ, is one of the larger superpowers in the "near future". Britain is part of the EZ.
- Felix Mather is President of the United States and the only politician trusted by Jonah Cosgrove.
- Malady Chang is a CIA agent, working for Control.
Time Lords Edit
- After the destruction of the Time Lords, there are now humans with access to time travel technology.
Other species Edit
- The Onihr are among many alien races seeking time travel in the post-Gallifrey universe, and have discovered some Time Lord relics (including the high-collared robes) in their quest.
- Baskerville is the richest man in the world. He possesses his own personal stealth Concorde.
- Stylistically (right down to the cover), Trading Futures is a little bit like a James Bond movie, with the Doctor blowing up spy boats, car chases and international travel, bombs in interesting places... plus some genuine (non-coffee machine) time travel (and space alien rhinos).
- The date isn't given but Anji Kapoor, born in 1973 and taken from 2001, thinks that the pensioners she meets could have gone to school with her, and that a young actress in her twenties would have been in nappies when Anji left her time. This would roughly be around the 2030s.
- The "dancing flame women" on the cover is a reuse of the fire image from the novel The Adventuress of Henrietta Street; the silhouette of the Doctor can be seen in one of the women.
- BBC Books has announced that a "print on demand" reprint edition of this novel will be made available as of 31st August 2011 as the imprint revisits adventures featuring the first eight Doctors. This book is also available as an ebook from the Amazon Kindle store.[source needed]
- Fitz learnt to speak Chinese during his time brainwashed for Communist China. (PROSE: Revolution Man)
- Fitz wanders the TARDIS corridors and hears something scratching behind the walls. The source of the noise is revealed in PROSE: The Gallifrey Chronicles.
- The Onihr are aware that the Doctor only has one heart at this point, his second heart having been removed in PROSE: The Adventuress of Henrietta Street.
- The Onihr are also aware of time travel development in the 51st century (TV: The Talons of Weng-Chiang, PROSE: Emotional Chemistry) and the identities of the four surviving elementals. (PROSE: The Adventuress of Henrietta Street)
- Fitz tells the Onihr about meeting Kala in the 1930s, (PROSE: Eater of Wasps) Noel Coward's shears which cut through the Very Fabric of Time and Space, (PROSE: Mad Dogs and Englishmen) the experiment at Station 40, (PROSE: Anachrophobia) and Sabbath in the 18th century. (PROSE: The Adventuress of Henrietta Street)
- The Doctor first met Felix Mather while hijacking the Atlantis space shuttle. (PROSE: Father Time)
- Cosgrove has survived the Martian invasion, (PROSE: The Dying Days) and the Fall of Learman. (AUDIO: The Time of the Daleks)
- The Doctor remembers meeting Time Agents in 1933. (PROSE: Eater of Wasps)