|Trouble in Paradise|
|Main enemy:||The Bovine Herd Leader|
|Main setting:||The Santa Maria in the Caribbean, 12 October 1492|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions, AudioGO|
|Read by:||Nicola Bryant|
|Release date:||1 June 2013 (download)|
6 June 2013 (CD)
|Destiny of the Doctor|
|Smoke and Mirrors||Shockwave|
Publisher's summary Edit
Responding to a desperate summons from the Doctor's future self, he and Peri find themselves on a sailing ship in 1492, where the crewmen are gripped by superstitious fear. They say the Devil walks among them, stalking and striking them down.
Even though they have landed in paradise, they fear that 'El Diablo' himself will drag them over the edge of the world and into the depths of hell. When the Doctor and Peri meet the captain of the ship, they both discover that heroes can sometimes behave un-heroically. Peri's reaction leads her into deep water, and soon the Doctor fears not only for her life but also for the existence of the ship, the paradise island, and the Universe itself...
to be added
- Peri's father Paul Brown owned a Chevy, which she describes as a "jalopy."
- The Eleventh Doctor tells his sixth incarnation to obtain an omniparadox for him. He tells his younger self that he will need it in the future to save the universe.
- Before realising his identity, Peri comments that the Eleventh Doctor resembled what she imagined the Sixth Doctor's son would look like if he settled down and had a family.
- The Eleventh Doctor claims that his TARDIS has a GPS with the voice of Davros.
- Christopher Columbus believes that Peri is an offering to him from the natives.
- Columbus' ships are the Santa Maria, the Niña and the Pinta.
- Peri was a straight-A student at high school.
- By the 15th century, it was against Spanish custom to engage the slave trade.
- The Doctor wears cat cufflinks.
- The Bovine Herd Leader, whom Peri describes as a "space buffalo," claims that bovine horde ruled the Earth in the distant past and humans worshiped them as gods. The Day of the Disaster came when the Herd Leader was trapped in ice and his mind was cut off from the rest of his species, rendering them normal buffalo. The Herd Leader was thawed out in the future, at a time when humanity had developed time travel. He found that the buffalo had been extinct. He copied their technology and used it to travel back through time in the hope of preventing his species' extinction. He was seen in many times and places, becoming the historical basis for legends about the Devil. In his timeline, the bovine horde had been wiped out by the Native Americans. To prevent this from happening, he used his technology to bring the Europeans to the Americas to take their place. It was his belief that the Europeans would wipe out the Native Americans while leaving the buffalo population intact. However, his future self travelled back in time to tell him to cease his experiments as they resulted in the buffalo being wiped out by the Europeans. As the Doctor explained to Peri, the United States of America owes its existence to the Herd Leader's interference in history and it was this interference which created the omniparadox.
- The Eleventh Doctor refers to his fez. (TV: The Big Bang, et. al)
- Peri refers to her encounters with George Stephenson in Killingworth in the 1820s (TV: The Mark of the Rani), H. G. Wells on Karfel (TV: Timelash) and Richard III in 1483 (AUDIO: The Kingmaker).
- Peri mentions that she is from Maryland and that her mother is Janine Foster. (AUDIO: The Reaping)