Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- You may be looking for the ship.
The United States of America, commonly the US, USA, America, or just the States, was a nation-state located in North America on the planet Earth. Its head of state and head of government was an elected president, chosen by general election every four years.
Early history Edit
American Revolution and nationhood Edit
In 1775, the American Revolutionary War against colonial rule by Britain began. The Rani was present at some point during this conflict, and extracted brain chemicals from soldiers, using the violence to conceal her presence. (TV: The Mark of the Rani)
19th century Edit
American Civil War Edit
While testing the temporal interocitor, Nyssa accidentally ended up in the Civil War during a battle in Virginia. There, she met a black Confederate soldier named Floyd, one of several people throughout history who'd been hearing the voices of Daleks all his life as part of their plan to make humanity more susceptible to Dalek ideals and enslave them. He assisted in thwarting this plan. (AUDIO: Renaissance of the Daleks)
Settling the West Edit
The latter half of the 19th century, particularly the years following the Civil War, saw rapid colonisation and development of the western half of the United States. Violence became a way of life in many settlements where often a lone marshall was hired to keep law and order. [source needed] The First Doctor and his companions once found themselves engaged in a particularly infamous and bloody incident known as the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. (TV: The Gunfighters) The Tenth Doctor and Martha Jones landed in Redwater sometime in the 1880s and faced down the Clades. (PROSE: Peacemaker)
20th century Edit
In 1930, the Tenth Doctor and Martha Jones went to New York City where they found the Cult of Skaro. Many New York citizens were killed by the Cult after it tried to make them into a new form of Dalek-human. (TV: Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks)
- For more information, see Final Experiment.
In 1958, the Tenth Doctor met Cassie Rice and Jimmy Stalkingwolf. They were arrested and taken to Area 51 to have their minds wiped. There they discovered the truth about the Roswell crash and Area 51. (TV: Dreamland)
In 1969, the Eleventh Doctor described Washington, D.C. as "the most powerful city in the most powerful country on Earth." At that time, a little girl phoned President Richard Nixon, told him about a spaceman that was coming to eat her, and warned him about monsters in the oval office. President Nixon recruited Canton Everett Delaware III to find out who the child was, and he was assisted by the Doctor, Amy Pond, Rory Williams, and River Song. During these events, the Silence were defeated by the Doctor through the use of their own post hypnotic suggestion. (TV: The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon)
In 1970, Melody Pond ended up in New York City, dying from a disease, and on the run from the Silence since her escape from them in Florida. She regenerated to cure herself and continue living, scaring away a homeless man that had been concerned about her health. (TV: Day of the Moon) This new incarnation of Melody ended up a toddler. (TV: Let's Kill Hitler)
Between 30 December 1999 and just after midnight on 1 January 2000, the Seventh Doctor was in San Francisco, where he regenerated into his eighth incarnation, and subsequently prevented the Master from causing havoc with time and space on New Year's Eve. (TV: Doctor Who)
21st century Edit
In 2003, part of the southern United States formed a 51st state, Malebolgia. Brigham Elisha Dashwood III, with the aid of the Psionovore Marchosias, planned to run for Governor of the new state, but was defeated by the Eighth Doctor, Charley Pollard and the Brigadier. (AUDIO: Minuet in Hell)
In 2008, Harold Saxon, the new Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, announced first contact with the Toclafane, who he described as a friendly form of alien life. The United States sent President Arthur Coleman Winters to come to the Valiant and take charge, whereupon the Toclafane killed him. (TV: The Sound of Drums) In 2009, Daleks under the control of Davros attacked New York. They destroyed the UNIT base there and killed most of the staff, including General Sanchez and Suzanne, although Martha Jones escaped thanks to Project Indigo. (TV: The Stolen Earth)
In 2011, Carter sent letters written by the Eleventh Doctor to River Song, Amy Pond, Rory Williams, Canton Everett Delaware III, and the Doctor's younger self, asking them (bar the Doctor himself) to meet the Doctor in Lake Silencio in Utah. When they arrived the Doctor told Amy, River and Rory that they would have to go to "space, 1969." After Canton arrived, the Doctor, actually a Teselecta decoy, was shot by a younger version of River. Canton informed the others that the Doctor was really dead, and they cremated his supposed body. After Amy, Rory, and River found the Doctor's younger self, they travelled back in time to 8 April 1969. (TV: The Impossible Astronaut, The Wedding of River Song)
In the 2010s, the USA-Mexican border was among the places where newly-hatched Zygons were settled across the world as part of Operation Double, resulting in a minority of Zygons residing in New Mexico under the pretense of being British migrants. (TV: The Zygon Invasion)
Circa 2037 the Wars of Independence broke up the United States. Terrorists destroyed the city of Phoenix, Arizona using a Tesla bomb. It was turned into a massive crater which came to be known as the "Phoenix Sandbowl". (PROSE: Alien Bodies)
Late 21st century Edit
Due to the Myloki conflict of 2066-8, by 2096 America was split into the warring North American Legion and Deep Southern States, with the Texas Republic selling weapons to both sides. (PROSE: The Indestructible Man)
26th century Edit
By the 52nd century, America seemed to be unheard of by some humans. When River Song escaped from the Stormcage Containment Facility, she announced she was heading to America, which a prison guard mistook as a planet. (TV: The Impossible Astronaut)
- The date of River's escape was unknown in The Impossible Astronaut, but as the date of her escape in The Pandorica Opens was 5145, it seems likely her second escape was also in the 52nd century.
People and culture Edit
U.S. popular culture had a significant influence on the rest of the Earth during the 20th and 21st centuries, especially in the Western world. U.S. music was heard all over the world, and included such forms as blues, jazz and rock and roll. As late as the final destruction of Earth during the expansion of its Sun, much of this music was still considered among the greatest ever composed by humanity. (TV: The End of the World, [additional sources needed])
American DJs were well liked by the DJ of Tranquil Repose, who based his style of presentation on them. Peri Brown thought of "Tranquil Repose" as the sort of name for a place in America; the Sixth Doctor agreed but thought America did not have a monopoly on bad taste. (TV: Revelation of the Daleks)
The United States was home to a wide variety of languages, the most prominent of which was by far the English language. (TV: The End of the World, [additional sources needed]) A large population of Americans also spoke the Spanish language and the French language. The Native Americans had many languages as well, but after English settlement most of them (but not all) were abandoned in favour of English.
Companions and Time Lords Edit
- The Doctor had the company of American companions from time to time, most notably Peri Brown (TV: Planet of Fire to TV: Mindwarp) and Dr. Grace Holloway. (TV: Doctor Who) He also had two companions from New Mexico in 1958, Cassie Rice and Jimmy Stalkingwolf. (TV: Dreamland)
- The Master once briefly appropriated the body of an American paramedic (TV: Doctor Who) and later became Barack Obama, American president (along with every other person on earth). (TV: The End of Time)
- Though he was from the Boeshane Peninsula in the 51st century, Captain Jack Harkness had an American accent, as did his father and brother. (TV: Adam)
Largest cities Edit
US States Edit
Alternative timelines Edit
In an alternative timeline in which Nazi Germany won World War II as a result of the Seventh Doctor and Ace accidentally leaving laser technology in Colditz Castle in October 1944, the Nazi scientists were able to refine uranium and create nuclear weapons. They subsequently bombed New York City, forcing the surrender of the United States and winning the war for Germany. (AUDIO: Klein's Story)
In an alternative timeline created by the Elder Gods in the hope of destroying Earth, World War III broke out on 9 November 1989 between the United States and its allies, and the Soviet Union. Given that nuclear weapons were used by both sides, hundreds of millions of people were killed in the conflict. This timeline was ultimately negated by the Seventh Doctor. (AUDIO: Protect and Survive)
Behind the scenes Edit
- Despite the franchise's popularity in the US, since 1963 only a handful of TV episodes have featured scenes set within the US, and to date there have only been seven TV stories set in their entirety in that country: The Gunfighters (the only story of the classic 1963-89 series set entirely in the US), the 1996 TV movie, Dalek, the two-parter Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks, the 2009 animated serial Dreamland, the Series 6 two-parter opener, The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon, and the Series 7 episodes A Town Called Mercy and The Angels Take Manhattan.
- In the mid-1980s, plans were made to film part of The Two Doctors in the US, possibly in the vicinity of New Orleans. This plan was cancelled and the serial was filmed in Spain, instead. For most of Doctor Who's history, no story had undertaken major filming within the United States (the 1996 telefilm, though set in San Francisco, was filmed in Vancouver, Canada); some second-unit filming occurred for TV: Daleks in Manhattan, but nothing involving the main cast. No major filming in America occurred until autumn 2010, when key scenes for TV: The Impossible Astronaut, Day of the Moon, and The Wedding of River Song were filmed in Utah.