Proposed new name: Up All Night (home video)
Have links been moved? no
|Up All Night|
|Main character(s):||Craig, Sophie|
|Main setting:||Colchester, 2011|
|Release date:||22 November 2011|
|Season/series:||Series 6 (DVD/Blu-ray exclusive)|
|Format:||1x4 minute, mini episode|
|Last Night||Clara and the TARDIS|
Up All Night was the fifth of five Night and the Doctor shorts produced exclusively for the Doctor Who: The Complete Sixth Series DVD and Blu-ray box sets. It was written by Tom MacRae and serves as a prequel to the events of Closing Time.
Craig, Sophie and Alfie have a brief scene in which Craig discusses his fears of dealing with his son.
A dog barks as we find Craig Owens in his home, eating baby food as he protests to Sophie that he can't be left alone with their baby, Alfie, as he's terrified he'll break him. Craig awkwardly tries a tickle, then Sophie puts Alfie in his arms, and tells him he's amazing. Craig bounces a bit, getting used to the idea, as Sophie notices the newspaper says another person has disappeared. Craig asks her if she is sure about leaving the both of them alone all weekend.
Sophie says, "Of course, what is the worst that could happen?" This statement is less than reassuring to Craig. She declares it to be bath time, and he protests they just did that yesterday. The kitchen lights flicker and they walk out, as Sophie says that it's not the end of the world...
- Writer - Tom MacRae
- Craig eats baby food.
Story notes Edit
- This story is a prequel to Closing Time. It is also chronologically the first appearance of Alfie Owens.
- At 1 minute 56 seconds, this is the shortest of the Night and the Doctor shorts.
- This is the only Night and the Doctor short not to feature the Doctor, nor any mention or appearance of River Song.
- This is the only appearance of Craig Owens not written by Gareth Roberts.
Myths and rumours Edit
- Current fan speculation is that this short was intended to be released as a prequel to Closing Time in the same manner as prequels for other series six episodes, but for unknown reasons it was not released. To date no one from the Doctor Who production team has stated whether this short was produced as an intended prequel or as a DVD/Bluray bonus feature.
Filming location Edit
- 2 Church Road, Penarth, Wales (Craig's home)
Production errors Edit
- The minisode is erroneously credited on-screen as having been written by Steven Moffat. The booklet that accompanies the UK release of the Complete Series 6 DVD/Bluray boxset corrects this error.
- The power fluctuates, followed by the sound of Cybermen marching, foreshadowing the events of TV: Closing Time.
- The Doctor has made similar statements many times - "What could possibly go wrong?" including TV: Midnight, The Doctor's Wife, and The Horns of Nimon. He even says, "What's the worst that could happen?" to Amy in TV: Vincent and the Doctor. Generally, these statements are followed by bad things happening.
Home video releases Edit
DVD Releases Edit
- Up All Night was released in the Series 6 DVD box set, in November 2011, along with the rest of the series.
Blu-Ray Releases Edit
- Up All Night was also released on Blu-ray as part of the Series 6 box set released in November 2011.
To be added