Vastra Investigates: A Christmas Prequel (webcast)
|Vastra Investgates: A Christmas Prequel|
|Main character(s):||Vastra, Jenny, Strax|
|Main setting:||London, the late 19th century|
|Premiere broadcast:||17 December 2012|
|Format:||1x2.5 minute webcast|
|Doctor Who webcast|
|The Making of the Gunslinger||The Bells of Saint John: A Prequel|
Vastra Investigates: A Christmas Prequel was a webcast and prequel produced for the 2012 Christmas special. It was the second prequel to The Snowmen to be produced, after The Great Detective, which aired in November during Children in Need.
Another case has been cracked by Madame Vastra; Strax keeps the criminal secure while a Scotland Yard officer, Inspector Gregson, thanks Vastra for her help, commenting how odd Strax looks. Vastra explains the Sontaran's origins, and hers as well when he asks if the skin condition hurts, mistakenly believing her to be human. She perplexes him further by saying she fell in love with her assistant Jenny Flint. Departing in a carriage, both are saddened that the Doctor appears unwilling to leave his TARDIS. However, they then both notice something very odd: it is snowing, yet there are no clouds in the sky...
- The criminal captured by Vastra, Jenny and Strax was wanted by Scotland Yard.
- The inspector is told that Strax is a genetically modified clone warrior from outer space, Vastra's an intelligent reptile from an ancient civilisation far preceding mankind, and that Vastra and Jenny are in love. He cannot take any of this in.
- The inspector previously assumed that Vastra's reptilian skin was a "skin condition".
Story notes edit
- This story is one of only a handful ever produced in which the Doctor and/or the TARDIS does not appear.
Filming locations edit
to be added
Production errors edit
to be added
- Both Vastra and Jenny say the Doctor is still brooding in his TARDIS. This implies this takes place after TV: The Great Detective.
- Vastra's awakening by the construction of the London Underground is again mentioned, as in TV: A Good Man Goes To War.
- Vastra and Jenny reiterate their relationship (as established in A Good Man Goes to War), however no reference is made to their marriage, so it's unclear whether they are actually married at this point, though they are wed by the time of The Snowmen as they indicate this to Walter Simeon.
- Inspector Gregson would later appear in TV: Deep Breath.
Home video releases edit
to be added