|Main enemy:||The Sou(ou)shi|
|Main setting:||Venus, circa 3,000,000,000 BC|
|Release date:||20 October 1994|
|Format:||Paperback Book, 20 Chapters, 272 Pages|
|Virgin Missing Adventures|
|Evolution||The Crystal Bucephalus|
- You may be looking for the lullaby itself.
Venusian Lullaby was the third novel in the Virgin Missing Adventures series. It was written by Paul Leonard. Featuring the First Doctor, Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright, it was set in the gap between The Dalek Invasion of Earth and The Rescue, after Susan Foreman left, but before Vicki joined the crew.
Publisher's summary Edit
- "You want me to help you eat your children?" Ian said.
- Jellenhut's eye-stalks twitched. "How else would we remember them?"
Venus is dying. When the Doctor, Barbara and Ian arrive they find an ancient and utterly alien civilization on the verge of oblivion. War is brewing between those who are determined to accept death, and those desperate for salvation whatever the cost.
Then a spacefaring race arrives, offering to rescue the Venusians by moving them all to Earth — three billion years before mankind is due to evolve. Are the newcomers’ motives as pure as they appear? And will the Doctor allow them to save his oldest friends by sacrificing the future of humanity?
to be added
- First Doctor
- Ian Chesterton
- Barbara Wright
- Jilet Mrak-ecado
- Professor Jofghil
The Doctor Edit
The Doctor's items Edit
- The Doctor uses an "unknown sonic device" (quite clearly a sonic screwdriver).
- The Doctor carries everlasting matches.
- Ian knows of a Venusian lullaby.
- There were various factions, known as anti-Acceptancers, who tried to find alternatives to their civilisation's fate. These included the Below the Sun Believers, the Rocketeers, the Water-breathers, the Volcano People, the Magnetologists and the Cave-makers.
- The Doctor has visited Venus before.
- Trikhobu works out a method for piloting the TARDIS based on tracking individuals.
- The remark by Ian that Christmas has passed recently appears to be a rather sly reference to the broadcast date of the television story The Dalek Invasion of Earth, which aired during the Christmas week.
- Susan Foreman's departure from the TARDIS weighs heavily on the Doctor's mind. (TV: The Dalek Invasion of Earth)
- A Venusian lullaby was later mentioned by the Third Doctor at Devil's End, the beginning of which went "Close your eyes, my darling, or three of them at least." (TV: The Dæmons)
- Ian compares Bikugih to Morphoton. (TV: The Keys of Marinus)
- The Doctor asks Pown(ow)ri whether the Sou(ou)shi are related to the Great Vampires. (TV: State of Decay)
- Venusian Lullaby at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Venusian Lullaby at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Venusian Lullaby
- Doctor Who Bewildering Reference Guide to Venusian Lullaby