When the TARDIS vending machine runs out of chocolate, the Doctor takes Rose to Belgium, home of the finest chocolatiers in the galaxy. However, it is 1914 and a German platoon, under the brutal command of Captain Rotmund, has been sent in pursuit of the British (making a retreat through the forest of Mormal).
The soldiers are lost in the forest. Since a sudden fog came down, their compasses are unreliable. The Doctor and Rose become involved in the conflict and are listening to tales of the Angel of Death visiting the troops to take the dead to Heaven. The Doctor spots a surveillance device in the form of a hovering camera. He identifies it as belonging to the Warfreekz, connoisseurs of carnage who specialise in "conflict management", forever in pursuit of the perfect slaughter. They are watching the situation from half a billion light years away. When the Germans attack the camera, it defends itself. Tthe commotion attracts the attention of nearby British soldiers who are also lost in the fog.
Using the Doctor's sonic screwdriver to illuminate her body, Rose appears to the soldiers as the Angel of Death and starts to quote the Robbie Williams hit song "Angels". In the distraction, the Doctor addresses the Warfreekz. He reminds them that even watching wars is not painless, and sends a feedback pulse back to them which hurts their ears.
After the Warfreekz withdraw and the two groups of soldiers are united, the Doctor and Rose prepare to leave. The Doctor promises Captain Rotmund that unless two soldiers (Paul and Edich) receive commendations, the Angel of Death will revisit him! As a token of their thanks, Rose is offered some of the soldiers' chocolate ration.
to be added
- The Eighth Doctor's travelling companion Destrii/Izzy appears in the group frame top left.
- The DWA comic strip adventures were aimed at a younger audience and the artwork and colours were bold and bright, reflecting the tone of the magazine.
- Self-contained, one-part stories were the norm in the early issues, later being expanded to two-parters.
Original print details Edit
- Publication with page count and closing captions
- DWA 5 (6 pages split 4/2) * NEXT ISSUE: MORE DANGER AND ADVENTURES!
- The Tenth Doctor also visits 1914, Belgium with Daniel Francis Thompson. (COMIC: Deep and Dreamless Sleep)