|We Will Rock You|
|Main enemy:||The Mondegreens|
|Main setting:||Cardiff, 2000|
|Printed in:||DWA 147|
|Release date:||30 December 2009|
|Format:||Comic - 1 parter (4 pages)|
|DWA comic stories|
|A Merry Little Christmas||The Highest Stake|
The Tenth Doctor takes Heather McCrimmon to Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium in the year 2000 to watch the rock band, ‘Unattended Article’ perform live on stage one last time. There is excitement when the support band, The Mondegreens, takes the stage with their “hot new sound” that is “out of this world!” The Mondegreens are a band of giant, red, lobster-like creatures with a liking for heavy rock. Their music creates a hypnotic effect on the crowd -- both live audience and the millions watching on TV around the world.
The Doctor is unaffected. He sets his sonic screwdriver to cancel out the effect on Heather. Together, they watch as the ‘music’ and phonic blast alter the crowd's DNA, turning them into stone. Confronting them on stage, they are told of the Mondegreens' intention “to cook the natives” of the planet until they are ready to feast on.
The Doctor and Heather make their way to the control tower by crowd surfing the audience. The Doctor reverses the phonic boom after pinning down the signal; he follows Heather’s suggestion that it might be being played backwards – a secret message in the song. The Doctor “isolates the signal in the mix, maxes the level to 11, and play the phonic boom forwards at full blast!”
Very soon, the people move again. The Mondegreens, at the epicentre of the phonic boom, are turned to stone -- at least until the Shadow Proclamation arrive!
- DWA 147 (4 pages) NEXT WEEK! A race to the death!
- None to date
- The DWA comic strip adventures were aimed at a younger audience and the artwork and colours were bold and bright, reflecting the tone of the magazine.
- Self contained, one part stories were the norm.
- Heather was born in 1992.
- Available in shops the week that the Tenth Doctor said goodbye on TV, this is the first comic strip story in Doctor Who Adventures magazine series to be headed in the opening frame with the caption “The Untold Stories of the Tenth Doctor”.
- The Tenth Doctor uses his sonic screwdriver to cancel out the phonic blast influence on Heather in this story.
- The Tenth Doctor is featured wearing his blue suit and brown coat in this strip.
- Heather is sporting a new bobbed hairstyle from this strip onwards. This strip dates Heather as being eight years old in 2000 (when she watched the concert on TV). This gives her a relative age of seventeen years old.
- Oddly, the activities of the four-member band (The Mondegreens) in turning the entire human race to stone, seem to be important enough for the Shadow Proclamation’s attention.