WalesRedirected from Welsh
Wales was a British nation whose capital and largest city, Cardiff, sat on a time rift, (TV: The Unquiet Dead, et al) and was the home of Torchwood Three (TV: Everything Changes, et al) Rex Matheson called the country "the British equivalent of New Jersey" because it was separate from the rest of the UK. (TV: The New World)
Torchwood Three's Gwen Cooper (whose family came from Swansea) and Ianto Jones were both of Welsh nationality, as was Gwen's husband, Rhys Williams. Wales was also the location of Aberystwyth University. (TV: Random Shoes)
14th century edit
19th century edit
20th century edit
In 1959, a Navarino group together with the Seventh Doctor and Melanie Bush crashed at Shangri-La holiday camp in Wales. The Bannermen attacked the camp but were defeated by the Chimeron princess. (TV: Delta and the Bannermen)
During the 1970s, the Third Doctor and Jo Grant, both of whom worked for UNIT at the time, visited the small Welsh mining town of Llanfairfach as well as Wholeweal, a small countercultural commune nearby. (TV: The Green Death)
21st century edit
In 2010, the Eleventh Doctor had his apparent funeral at UNIT Base 5 inside Mount Snowdon, although this was a ruse by Tia Karim and the Claw Shansheeth of the 15th Funeral Fleet to steal the Doctor's TARDIS. (TV: Death of the Doctor)
Notable people from Wales edit
- Gwen Cooper
- Clifford Jones
- Ianto Jones
- Malcolm Taylor
- Rhys Williams
- Andy Davidson
- Daniel Llewellyn
- Nasreen Chaudhry
- Tony Mack
- Ambrose Northover
- Mo Northover
- Elliot Northover
Other information edit
- In 2009, Ianto Jones posed as the Welsh ambassador to Switzerland (with Gwen Cooper as his wife) to gain entrance to the Large Hadron Collider's gala opening and investigate alien activity there. (AUDIO: Lost Souls)
- When the Miracle Day phenomenon required the presence of Torchwood in several missions in the United States, on several occasions Americans who met Gwen mistakenly believed that she was English, much to her annoyance. (TV: Rendition, End of the Road)
- Commander Paul Keele, Dr. Eleanor Harcourt and Professor Ivor Fassbinder of Dark Space 8 were once sent back in time to medieval Wales. (AUDIO: Bang-Bang-A-Boom!)
Behind the scenes edit
- Location filming for TV: The Abominable Snowmen and TV: The Five Doctors were filmed in desolate-looking areas of North Wales. Outside shooting for TV: The Masque of Mandragora was done in Portmeirion, also in North Wales.
- Since its revival in 2005, production of Doctor Who has been based in Wales, specifically the Cardiff region, with all but a handful of episodes filmed exclusively in the region. Several episodes such as The Unquiet Dead and Boom Town have been explicitly set in Cardiff.
- The first three series of the spinoff Torchwood and the entirety of The Sarah Jane Adventures was completely produced in Wales as well, with the former actually taking place in and around Cardiff and the latter having an episode set inside Mount Snowdon.
- Production of the franchise is currently headquartered out of Roath Lock studios in the Porth Teigr area of Cardiff Bay. It moved there in 2012. Previously, it was also located in Cardiff, in Upper Boat Studios.