Winter was a 2007 Big Finish Productions full-cast audio short story, featuring the Fifth Doctor and Nyssa. It was set within the last few moments of the Fifth Doctor's life, as he battles the Master for control of his regeneration — meaning that most, but not all, of the narrative takes place in the Doctor's mind. This also meant that the events of this story were contained within the finale of TV: The Caves of Androzani, and revealed the origins of the visions within his head as he regenerated.
It was further notable for being the only Big Finish audio, as of 2018, to use the character of Kamelion in any significant way.
Publisher's summary Edit
Many years after their travels together have ended, the two friends meet again in the strangest of circumstances.
to be added
- There are mentions of the Fifth Doctor's former companions Adric, Tegan Jovanka and Turlough as well as his current companion Peri Brown.
- Nyssa is married to a man named Lasarti. They have an infant daughter, Neeka.
- The Doctor tells Nyssa and Lasarti that he is dying of Spectrox toxaemia.
- The Doctor compares regeneration to the Buddhist concept of reincarnation, stating that "Each life creates the next."
- Time Lords have the ability to make mental contact with others across time and space.
- There is an existence (albeit only a mental one) for a Time Lord's departing incarnation within the act of regeneration.
- Though Paul Cornell and Mike Maddox share the writing credit on the Circular Time anthology, this story was written by Cornell alone. Cornell has referred to the story as "a weird fanservice thing."
- In spite of the fact that he remains unseen throughout, this is the first Fifth Doctor audio drama to feature the Master as a villain. He would later appear in AUDIO: Smoke and Mirrors and AUDIO: And You Will Obey Me.
- As it takes place during his regeneration into his sixth incarnation as depicted in TV: The Caves of Androzani, this is the final audio drama, chronologically speaking, to feature the Fifth Doctor.
- Nyssa and Lasarti help the Doctor into a recreation of the Zero Room in his mindscape. (TV: Castrovalva)
- The hallucinations of former companions experienced by the regenerating Fifth Doctor during the closing moments of The Caves of Androzani are revealed to be representations of his attempts to make mental contact with them across time and space and get their support in regenerating.
- The Master uses Kamelion's lingering connection to the Doctor's TARDIS to try to prevent the Fifth Doctor's regeneration into the Sixth Doctor. (TV: The Caves of Androzani)
- The Doctor says "Is this death?" and murmurs that his regeneration "feels different this time." (TV:The Caves of Androzani)
- The Doctor and Nyssa encounter the Watcher in his mindscape and the Doctor merges with him to complete the transition into his next incarnation. (TV: Logopolis)
- The Doctor says that his next incarnation will be very colourful, a possible reference to the Sixth Doctor's patchwork coat. (TV: The Twin Dilemma, et. al)
- Kamelion tells Lasarti that the Doctor dies each time he regenerates. The Tenth Doctor would later make a similar comparisons when contemplating his own upcoming regeneration.(TV: The End of Time)
- Later in her personal timeline, Nyssa would encounter the Fourth Doctor in 3488 (PROSE: Asylum), rejoin the Fifth Doctor as one of his companions (AUDIO: Cobwebs), and eventually become trapped in the small universe of E-Space, cut off from the Doctor forever. (AUDIO: The Entropy Plague) From the Doctor's perspective, these events had already taken place. However, to preserve the Web of Time, the Doctor doesn't tell Nyssa about these events.
- Nyssa and Lasarti would later have a son, whom she named after Adric. (AUDIO: Heroes of Sontar, Prisoners of Fate)
- The Doctor tells Nyssa that both Tegan and Turlough have left the TARDIS. (TV: Resurrection of the Daleks, Planet of Fire)