|Year of the Pig|
|Main enemy:||Inspector Chardalot|
|Main setting:||Ostend, Belgium, 1913|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Cover by:||Stuart Manning|
|Release date:||December 2006|
|Format:||2 Episodes on 2 CDs|
|Big Finish Doctor Who audio stories|
|No Man's Land||Spring|
Year of the Pig was the ninetieth monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions. Released in December 2006, it was the fourth monthly-series audio story to feature the Sixth Doctor and Peri Brown. This story features several previous Doctor Who actors (and some who went on to appear in Doctor Who) including Adjoa Andoh, Michael Keating and Maureen O'Brien.
Publisher's summary Edit
Ostend, 1913. War is coming. A war in which millions will die. And the guest in suite 139 of the Hotel Palace Thermae knows it. Which is odd, considering he has trotters, a snout and a lovely curly tail.
Toby the Sapient Pig is a swine on the run. Two peculiar strangers have been hunting him across Europe. The first, Miss Alice Bultitude, is an Englishwoman and collector of obscure theatrical ephemera. The second, Inspector Alphonse Chardalot, is a celebrated member of the detective police — the man who brought the trunk murderess of St Germain to justice.
This was supposed to be a reading week for the Doctor and Peri. Now they must do battle with a villain who wants to wipe every last human from the face of the earth — once he's had just another dish of truffles. And maybe a valedictory glass of fizzy lemonade.
to be added
- The Doctor - Colin Baker
- Peri Brown - Nicola Bryant
- Nurse Albertine - Adjoa Andoh
- Toby the Sapient Pig - Paul Brooke
- Inspector Chardalot - Michael Keating
- Miss Alice Bultitude - Maureen O'Brien
- The Doctor once visited Brussels at some point after 1913 to buy an engagement ring, though he is quick to point out that it was "for business, not pleasure."
- This story was previewed in Doctor Who Magazine issue 377 with an illustration by Martin Geraghty.
- This audio drama was recorded on 27 and 28 March 2006 at The Moat Studios.
- If this story was part of the subscription with Big Finish, it included Return of the Daleks free with this story.
- The Doctor recalls Peri's transformation into an avian lifeform on Varos in the late 23rd century. (TV: Vengeance on Varos)
- The Doctor threatens to tell Peri the story about "the Giant Rat of the River Fleet." (TV: The Talons of Weng-Chiang)
- The Doctor opines on the reading habits of some of his previous incarnations. He calls the First Doctor the "real Francophile" (TV: The Reign of Terror) and a person who, like him, had a great appreciation for books — but not much time to do it, considering the mire beasts (TV: The Chase) and Moroks (TV: The Space Museum) that he had to face. The Third Doctor, he claims, was inclined to be "more interested in axle grease and looking in the mirror" than in reading great literature. Of his immediate predecessor, he says that "he preferred cricket and fizzy lemonade to reading." The Doctor then expresses relief that he has finally found a persona temperamentally suited to reading Proust.
- Peri says that she is going to shop for a postcard to send to H. G. Wells. (TV: Timelash)
- The Doctor tells Peri that his fifth incarnation "was fond of a Boy's Own adventure about an aristocrat who yomped through the Brazilian rainforests, depriving the natives of their orchids." (TV: Black Orchid)
- The Doctor mentions that he has met the "odd anthropomorphic slug." (TV: The Twin Dilemma)
- Official Year of the Pig page at bigfinish.com
- Year of the Pig at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- DisContinuity for Year of the Pig at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide